Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications

02 cavalier lost power while driving and still has no power

Hi, did you lose power while driving all at once? Is the check engine light on? What engine do you have? Auto or manual trans? Is is hard to restart? Let me know and i will try to help you out. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wife was driving she said that all of the instrament panel lights came on then the car died. I only have radio inside the car with the key in aux nothing with the key on or when trying to start. Also the door alarm when key is in the ignishion and the over head light. all of the fuses are good starter, batt, and alt are all fine.
Does the starter crank the engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can jump it out and it will crank but with no power there is no fuel and no spark

Okay, do you know if the ignition recall has been done? Is there a gray relay mounted to radiator near the battery? If so follow the wires down, do some go to the starter? Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

nothing no grey box no recall done as far as i know

Do you have access to a test light? We can check a couple things.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
unfourtunetly my test light does not work I do have a multimeter
Okay, on the starter, the small wire on the solenoid. Put one end of your meter there and the other to battery ground. Set it on dc volts, turn the key to start and see if you are getting 12 volts on the small purple wire. Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

not getting any power

Okay 2 fuses to check in underhood fuse block Ignition fuse (50amp) and Battery 2 fuse (40amp) see if they are blown. if not, then go to the neutral safety switch on top of trans and look for purple and white wire, check it for power when cranking also. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the purple with white stripe or solid? am I measuring between the two or to ground do I unplug them or leave them connected the white and purple wires are in different plugs
purple with white stripe and ground. you can disconnect the connector to make it easier.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no power
Okay look for a relay in the underhood fuse block that says "crank"when that relay closes it powers up the purple/white wire. there should be other relays you can swap it with, like ac, relay. give that a quick try Also there is a crank fuse in the same box. check it also
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nothing there......I checked another 10a fuse marked CRNK (on the same fuse block) there is no power to that fuse at all, all of the other fuses have 12v
Okay, it was alot of steps but they had to be checked. As long as the 50 amp fuse you checked earlier had power, its looking like you have a bad ignition switch inside the steering column. The switch recieves power from the 50 amps fuse and it sends power to the 10 amp crank fuse. Unless a wire is broken between the ignition switch and the underhood fuse block, which is not likely(although possible) the switch is your problem. Let me know if you need instructions on how to replace it. Please click on accept. Thanks, Eric