Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

1997 chevy: fuel pressure..truck starts..the fuel filter..gauge

Customer Question

my 1997 chevy silverado has 57# XXXXX fuel pressure. the truck starts but shuts off after just a couple seconds. I have changed the fuel filter and have a gauge on the line. the pressure has held at 57# XXXXX about an hour. What should i check next? Is there a security chip that may be shutting the vehicle down? I am using the original key to start the engine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 7 years ago.
Put the key in , turn the key to the run position, and leave it like that for 10 minutes. After that the security light should go out. Now turn off and the restart and your passkey should be reset.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am trying that. I will be back to you in 10 min.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried the resetting procedure, it started and ran for a couple seconds longer, but still shut off. I am retrying the procedure. Is there anything I should try?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you may have to repeat 3 times in a row. If that doesn't due it there may be an issue with the system itself.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 7 years ago.

Here is the 30 minute relearn, follow it and let me know if it works, these things can be a pain.

• Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  • Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
    If the passlockTM sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    If the EVO/passlockTM module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
  • The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the Passlock sensor, EVO/Passlock module and VCM/PCM. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt). Remember do the 10 min relearn a total of 3 times.
  • Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    I will try all of this. Could it be a bad distributor?
    Expert:  Ted G. replied 7 years ago.
    Not if it starts for a short time, distributor will typically fail like shutting off a switch, either on or off.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    I will try this but it will take some time. can I come back later?
    Expert:  Ted G. replied 7 years ago.
    Sure, I typically am here 8-5 each day and you can always accept if I helped you.