cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech

Camaro: v6..cranks..wont start..fuel pump, CKP, ICM & nothing

Customer Question

98 v6 camaro cranks, but won't start. replaced fuel pump, CKP, ICM & nothing. What else can it be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
so what your saying is you have no fuel pressure and no spark is that correct
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, no fuel pressure and no spark. Thinking it it's the VATS key, I got a new key and still nothing. Any clues on how I can get it running again?
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
it says the vats just disables your start on this but im reading that from a computer does the pump in the tank run for 2 seconds when you turn the key on and if possible could you check to see if you have power at the injectors
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the fuel pump "buzzes" for a bit when I turn the key and I do have power at the injectors. So the VATS shouldn't be cutting the power to both the fuel pump and the plugs, correct? Any other ideas of what it could be?
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
do you have a fuel pressure gauge to check the actual pressure and did do you have a test light
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I tested the fuel pressure through the test valve on the fuel rail and no fuel even leaks out at all, so there's no pressure- and yes i do have a test light.

Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
if you here the pump run and there is no pressure then you have a pump issue or a bad gas gauge and you ran out and didnt know it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Need a more detailed answer on my issue.
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
if you here the pump then you need to put a fuel pressure gauge on the test port to check for pressure be fore you do this put 5 gallons of gas in just to make sure there is enough fuel in the system even if the pump works it cant pressure the gaugeturn the key on e few times and see what kind of fuel pressure you have