Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

91 Chevy caprice classic: distributor..V8..rotor..#1 when cyl #1 is

I just put a new distributor in my 91 Chevy caprice classic 305 V8 TBI and I forgot to mark on the cap where exactly the cyl #1 plug wire position. I have the right firing order and cyl placement and the new dist. went in facing the same way the old one came out,(with exception of the spline gear and rotor) So I need to know where pos # XXXXX is on the cap so I can set the gear and rotor to #1 when cyl #1 is TDC

HI,

Below shows wire placement on distributor:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: 5.0L (VIN E) and 5.7L (VIN 7) EnginesEngine Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2Distributor Rotation: Clockwise

distributor replacement directions:

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

The distributor will have to be removed from the engine and disassembled if the pick-up coil or distributor shaft need to be replaced.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the side of the distributor.
  4. Remove the distributor cover and wire retainer, if equipped. Turn the retaining screws counterclockwise and remove the cap.
  5. Mark the relationship of the rotor to the distributor housing and the housing relationship to the engine.
  6. Remove the distributor retaining bolt and hold-down clamp.
  7. Pull the distributor up until the rotor just stops turning counterclockwise and again note the position of the rotor.
  8. Remove the distributor from the engine.

To install:

1. Insert the distributor into the engine, with the rotor aligned to the last mark made, then slowly install the distributor the rest of the way until all marks previously made are aligned.
  2. Install the distributor hold-down clamp and retaining bolt.
  3. If removed, install the wiring harness retainer and secondary wires.
  4. Install the distributor cap.
  5. Reconnect the wire connectors to the side of the distributor. Make certain the connectors are fully seated and latched.
  6. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

If the engine was accidentally cranked after the distributor was removed, the following procedure can be used during installation.

1. Remove the No. 1 spark plug.
  2. Place a finger over the spark plug hole and have a helper crank the engine slowly until compression is felt.
  3. Align the timing mark on the pulley to 0 on the engine timing indicator.
  4. Turn the distributor rotor to point between No. 1 spark plug tower on the distributor cap.
  5. Install the distributor assembly in the engine and ensure the rotor is pointing toward the No. 1 spark plug tower.
  6. Install the cap and spark plug wires.
  7. Check and adjust engine timing.