Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.
4232346

2000 chevy impala: egr valve..twice engine check light still comes

Customer Question

I have a 2000 chevy impala replace egr valve twice engine check light still comes on what is causing this do I need to look for other problems   engine size 3.4
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 7 years ago.
Do you know what code is setting?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The same code it gave me when I replace egr valve p401
The dtc p0401 is for the EGR not flowing, most of the time its due to a clogged passage in the intake pletium. I understand you tryed to decarb the engine, have you tried to clean the passage from the EGR to the intake? This passage gets clogged and can only be cleaned out with a tool. You can use a coat hanger to ream out the passage to get rid of the build up. Take off the egr and use the coat hanger and push it thru untill it goes in to the intake pletium. You can see the outlet of the port from the throttle body, open the throttle body and see if you can see the coat hanger inside of it. If this passage is clean, the EGR should now flow.
A catalytic converter that is clogged can also cause this code, but you would have a lack of power when driving if this was the case.