Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
3077897

i have a 2007 Tahoe with 70K on it. Front shocks feel worn

i have a 2007 Tahoe with 70K on it. Front shocks feel worn out, as I get terrible shaking in the front end over bumps, especially when I am towing. It feels like the wheels are bouncing on the road. I am very mechanically inclined. What's involved in changing the shocks myself, and has Chevy made any upgrades to the stock shock. I've had this problem since I put about 30K on the truck. It originall rode smoothly. I had the dealer check out the front end, and a private shop, as well. Both said that everything looks good, so I assume it's shocks. I don't want to put the same units in, if they are only going to last 30K. Any thoughts ??

Thank you,
Jay B
Medfield, Massachusetts
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hi, do you have a coil spring over the shock or just the shock alone? They have both depending on what series the truck is. 1500, 2500 etc. Let me know and i can give you the procedure. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's an '07 Tahoe, the new series. There are no 1500/2500, etc. Mine is an LT. Not sure what the configuration is, as it isn't home with me right now. I don't think it uses torsion bars like the previous series.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are the two procedures depending on the setup you have.

Shock Absorber and Spring Assembly Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedures

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
  2. Remove the front tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
  3. Disconnect the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle. Refer to Steering Linkage Outer Tie Rod Replacement .

1

Shock Absorber Module Bolt (Qty: 2)

Notice: Do not use air powered tools in order to disassemble or assemble any vehicle component. Bolt torques are vital to diagnosis. You can detect bolt torques only when using hand tools. Improper bolt torques can contribute to vehicle repair problems.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Procedure

1. Support the lower control arm.
  2. Disconnect the electronic suspension control electrical connector.

Tighten
50 N·m (37 lb ft)

2

Shock Absorber Module Nut (Qty: 3)

Tighten
50 N·m (37 lb ft)

3

Shock Absorber Module

Procedure

1. If removing the shock module to service its components, refer to Shock, Shock Component, and/or Spring Replacement .
  2. For the proper disposal procedure of the shock absorber, refer to Shock Absorber Disposal .
Shock Absorber Replacement (2500 Series)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Remove the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

1

Shock Absorber Retaining Nut

Tip
Support the lower control arm with a safety stand.

Tighten
24 N·m (17 lb ft)

2

Insulator (Qty: 2)

Tip

1. Install the lower insulator, which is smaller than the upper insulator and plastic pilot ring.
  2. Install the upper insulator, which is the larger of the 2 insulators.

3

Retaining Nut

Tighten
80 N·m (59 lb ft)

4

Mounting Bolt

5

Shock Absorber

Tip
If replacing the shock absorber, refer Shock Absorber Disposal for the proper disposal procedure.

If you end up having the type with the coil spring this may be your problem and you may want to consider replacing the coils. Let me know if i can help you further. Please click on accept. Thanks, Eric

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I click on the "shock absorber /spring replacement " link, it tells me I don't have access. Other than the pictires, this isn't much help. If I have the coil over variety, which I believe I do, do i need to compress the spring to get it back in? Will I need an alignment if I remove the tie rod end?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Sorry about the links not working, it happens sometimes, Yes you will have to compress the spring to remove the shock

xTooltipElement Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Suspension | Front Suspension | Repair Instructions | Document ID:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Shock, Shock Component, and/or Spring Replacement

Special Tools

CH-48845 Spring Compressor

Removal Procedure

Important: Use only hand tools to perform the following service procedure.

Caution: Use only the CH-48845 Spring Compressor when servicing suspension components on this vehicle. Other tools may not be strong enough for the springs on this vehicle and you could be injured if you do not use Special Tool CH-48845. Failure to do so could result in serious personal injury.

1. Install the front shock absorber assembly in the CH-48845 .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: For vehicles equipped with electronic suspension control, ensure that the upper retaining bracket of the CH-48845 is adjusted properly so that it DOES NOT damage the front suspension mount.

2. Position the shock absorber (2) in the upper retaining bracket of the CH-48845 (1) so the shock absorber will be centered.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MH
  3. Using the CH-48845 (1), compress the front spring (2).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: DO NOT re-use the shock absorber nut, discard and replace with new ONLY.

4. Using the appropriate wrench, hold the shock absorber shaft.
  5. Using the appropriate tool, remove and discard the shock absorber nut (1).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  6. Remove the front lower shock absorber (2) and the front spring lower insulator (1).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  7. Remove the front suspension strut mount (1), front spring upper seat (2), front suspension strut bumper (3), front spring upper insulator (4), and the front suspension spring (5) from the spring compressor.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: The inboard strut mounting studs are spaced closer together than the outboard stud. The outboard stud should be facing toward the outside (closest to the technician proper alignment.

1. Assemble the front suspension strut mount (1), front spring upper seat (2), front suspension strut bumper (3), front spring upper insulator (4), and the front suspension spring (5) in the spring compressor.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  2. Align the spring seat stop (3), the outboard stud (1), and the center of the lower strut mount (4). The notch in the spring seat (2) should be just to the right of the outboard stud.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Position the shock absorber (2) in the upper retaining bracket of the CH-48845 (1) so the shock absorber will be centered.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MH
  4. Using the CH-48845 (1), compress the front spring (2).
  5. Using the appropriate wrench, hold the shock absorber shaft.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  6. Install the NEW shock absorber nut (1).

Tighten
    For vehicles equipped with electronic suspension, tighten the shock absorber nut to 80 N·m (59 lb ft).

Tighten
    For vehicles equipped with electronic suspension, tighten the electrical connector to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Tighten
    For vehicles without electronic suspension, tighten the shock absorber nut to 60 N·m (44 lb ft).

7. Remove the shock absorber assembly from the spring compressor
  8. Install the shock absorber in the vehicle. Refer to Shock Absorber and Spring Assembly Replacement.

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

I would have the alignment checked when you are done.Thanks, Eric

Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience: ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications