Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

2002 Cavalier - anti theft system - never know if my car will

Customer Question

2002 Cavalier - anti theft system - never know if my car will start - bought car used.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 4 years ago.

This is not an uncommon problem in this model. The problem usually is caused by a faulty passlock sensor. There is not easy way to diagnose this without the use of a scan tool that can read body failure codes. The passlock sensor is part of the complete ignition cylinder on this model. Here is a simple relearn procedure that try when this problem occurs.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! Good luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Car started after second time, not sure if it worked or not. No flashing on security signal while waiting. Guess I won't know until tomorrow when I go to get in and start it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Car started after second time, not sure if it worked or not. No flashing on security signal while waiting. Guess I won't know until tomorrow when I go to get in and start it. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 4 years ago.
Well if this problem is a theft detterent system malfunction, the indicator lamp on the instrument panel should certainly be on. If this message is not showing, then I would really figure we would need to look into things that the engine may or may not have to properly run. Let me know how you make out!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

seems to be fine with what you gave me it started fine all day today.But i agreed to 15 dollars and they are trying to charge me $25.50.Whats the deal? Thank you very much for your help!!

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 4 years ago.
I only see that you made a $15 deposit and you only have one question open. To accept my answer simply press the accept button. If you are charged anymore than the $15.00 post back to me and I will contact Justanswer directly regarding the incorrect amount.
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi - Just touching back with you to let you know that $25.50 was taken out of my account as mentioned before. Please advise.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 4 years ago.
Ok I will contact justanswer about this problem. You should be hearing from someone, if not let me know!