Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

350 chevy rebuilt, at the first priming of the oil pump, i

350 chevy rebuilt, at the first priming of the oil pump, i get oil to only one or two rockers on the drivers side of the engine with very little flow. The presssure, taken from the rear sending unit, is very high in the 80's at very low rpm's on the drill that drives my pump.. if i drive the drill faster it shoots up above 150 psi.. but not more flow on the few rockers taht do receive oil..
what's going on in there..? thanks..
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

if you have a good drill..keep it turning your primer while you turn the engine 1/4 at a time,,it will get the oil to the rest of the rockers...just a note,,you need to have a thin oil like 5/30 in it for breakin

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got the 5/30 oil in there.. got the drill to give me 80psi,, had it running non-stop and turned the crank a 1/4 turn every minute or so.. did at least 3 revs.. got some oil on the drivers side rockers.. a drop a second at there biggets flow.. but the passenger side rockers are dry as can be.. did this for about 10 minutes.. so that didn't works as hoped... what's next..?

it sounds as if you need a drill that turns more rpms...it takes a real good one for this...the engine seems to be ok from what you are telling me,i think it would be ok to install and start it now,just pour a little oil on the rockers...also after you start it make sure all the push rods are turning to keep from wipeing out the cam..

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok.. i did some reading on different forums and found my answer.. the guy had my exact problem, i was using a straight shaft to turn the pump.. seems that i need the real tool to make sure the gallerys are getting pressurized.. them the passenger side will get oil.. so i'll get the tool monday..
thanks for your help.. so next time you get this question it would be a good thing to make sure the right tool is used before anything else i guess..

ok

i didnt know you never had the tool..sorry..

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic