Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

1990 corvette: disarm..I think that is why I can not get it to start

Customer Question

how do you disarm a 1990 corvette security systems I think that is why I can not get it to start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer does the security light stay illuminated when you turn the car to crank?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no the light does not come on the car has been wet
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
If the security light is not lit, the antitheft system should not be a factor in this issue. Does the starter engage when the you turn the key or do you have nothing at all? Also is your car an automatic or manual?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no nothing, it is automatic
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, then the first steps we need to take is do we have power at the starter when you turn the car to crank. Let's make that our first step. You have 2 terminals on the starter. The smaller terminal is the one we need to monitor. It should have a purple wire. Use a test light or voltmeter and see if you have 12volts on that terminal when you try to start it. If you do, we are looking at a starter. If we don't then we start looking at the items upstream from the starter, like the neutral safety and ignition switch. We will look at the components that are involved in the antitheft as well, but let's see if we have power there. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all fuseable links have been checked and a solinoid wire jumped to battery that is how is able to turn over and fire fuel pump is jumpered won;t stay running, it has fuel acts like injectors not in time
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Generally it won't work that way. Can you check that solenoid wire and see if there is any voltage present on it. Maybe we have less voltage than we should, but I'd like to see if we have an acknowledgement that there is some action or no action on that wire. Our next step will be moving upstream, but I like to know the facts we have to work with. If we find some voltage but not full, and full voltage further up, we will find our loss.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
I can tell you how to bypass the passkey portion of the antitheft, but I don't want to go that way quite yet, since the security light is not lit. I can tell you if you would like.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok will check th evoltage and get back with you
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Great, if things look like the antitheft is involved, I will certainly guide you to bypassing it. I just don't want you to alter the car unless you need to.

Ivan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the anti theft is involved we have now tried everything else if you could just tell me how to do that I would really appreciate it thank you
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, you have 2 wires that come down the steering column from the ignition switch. Those 2 wires form a ribbon harness consisting of th 2 white wires. Sometime I've seen these wires orange too, so just keep that in mind. Remove the lower dash panel, and look for this 2 wire ribbon harness to come out of the base of the steering column on the right side and move towards the center of the dash. This is the wiring harness that reads the pellet in your key. It plugs into a black connector that goes to the antitheft decoder module. Get a resistance reading of the pellet in you ignition key. Go to and electronics supply store, like Radio Shack and purchase resistors that assembled in series will equal that same resistance. Assemble them with solder or butt connectors and heatshrink them for reliablility. Unplug that harness and install your resistor assembly across the terminals in the blace connector. That will satisfy the decoder module if that pellet is causing our issues. Let me know if that works. If you still have problems we'll go deeper checking for power at the various components.