GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2001 monte carlo ls: traction control and abs light are coming on what

Customer Question

i have a 2001 monte carlo ls
traction control and abs light are coming on
what can i do to fix
84,0000 miles
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome. This is usually a fault with one of the front wheel speed sensors or the harness that goes from the body to the harness. The wires tend to break at the pivot point around the lower ball joint.

The first thing to do is lift and check the wheel bearings because the sensor is part of the front wheel bearings. If they are good, then test the resistance of the wheel bearings. They should be around 1000 ohms. If they are good, then you need to get the code to decide which code is setting the lights and from there we know where to look.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i have a bad sensor can just that be replaced or do i need to replace whole harness assy.
estimated cost on above?
The sensor is part of the wheel bearing so you would have to replace the wheel bearing assembly. If the harness that goes to the wheel bearing is the issue, then you can just replace that harness. The wheel bearings are about 300 and the harness is about 50.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CAN I GET TO BEARING SENSOR BY JUST REMOVING TIRE AND RIM OR DO I HAVE TO REMOVE NUT TO GET TO BEARING

If you are just testing, you can take the tire and rim off. To replace the bearing if that is where diagnosis leads, you will need to remove the nut, brake rotor and caliper.

Next time, please hold the feedback to verify rather than leaving neutral feedback. I view neutral as negative feedback and don't appreciate it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SORRY ABOUT THE NEUTRAL FEEDBACK AM NEW TO THE SITE
DIDNT REALIZE I COULD LEAVE FEEDBACK LATER
I DID PAY FOR INFO THOUGH I WOULD NOT WANT INFO FOR NOTHING
CAN I REPLY TO THIS AND ASK MORE QUESTIONS DAYS LATER
I will answer any questions that are directly related to the issue that you asked about in this question. Questions that are not at all related will need to be asked in a new question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I UNDERSTAND , TO CHECK THE WHEEL BEARINGS ALL I HAVE TO DO IS MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT A LOT OF PLAY, IF THERE IS THAT MEANS IT WILL DEACTIVATE MY ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL
IT SEEMS TO ME IT WOULD HAVE MORE TO DO WITH ELECTRICAL OR SENSOR PROBLEMS

The wheel speed sensor is inside and part of the wheel bearing. You cannot replace the bearing with out replacing the sensor and vice versa.

Please turn your caps off.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand the replacement I just needed to know how exactly to check bearings to verify that they were the problem with the abs and traction control
so what your saying is if bearings are bad it will also effect abs and traction control
sorry about capp locks I was do something else while waiting for answer didnt even realize they were on
Yes, a bad bearing will cause the ABS light. To check for bearings, lift the front end and grab the bearing at the top and the bottom. Push and pull to see if there is any play. If there is more than just the flex of the tire, then you need to see what the cause is. Often a bad wheel bearing will make, mostly over 35mph and change when you move from side to side. The best is to get the code if you see nothing obvious.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thats what I may have to do because i just remembered had both front bearins replaced within past 6 months (better halfs car don't pay a whole lot of attention to what she has done) but i have to do leg work when problems like this come about
so my best quess is to check ohm on connections and look for any thing visible as far as
broken wires all this can be done by just removing tire
correct???

Yes, remove the tire and go from there. Remember that the sensor harness around the lower ball joint is often where the wires break if that is the issue. Because we don't have the codes, we are working of common issues and an educated guess.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much for your
I will try to do better as far as feedback next
know that I understand procedure
I hope I didnt upset you in any way
You are welcome. I would appreciate it if you would send a message to customer service to have them change the feedback.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will do that
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i let them know what to fix i dont see a reference number or anything
do you have some sort of number

Just include the link to this question in a message to http://www.justanswer.com/support.aspx