Anthony, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified

How to reset computer after dead battery in 2007 HHR

how to reset computer after dead battery in 2007 HHR

Welcome to justanswer!

Which computer is giving you trouble and what is it doing exactly?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Battery died due to headlamps left on overnight. After recharging with trickle charger, we get the following symptoms: "Power Steering" light on, won't shift out of 2nd gear (might be first). I am assuming this is caused by on board computer needing to be "rebooted".
Ok, is the battery fully charged now?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. It has been driven around town.
Ok, try this. Unhook the battery for about 2 minutes then reconnect it. If the symptoms are still present after that then some damage was sustained to the controllers from the undervolt situation (dead battery) and would have to be checked with a scan tool and some other diagnostic equip. Most likely a hard reset (battery disconnect) will work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It worked! All systems are "go". Thanks a ton. You saved my wife a trip to the dealer and the associated wait and uncertain charge for service.
No problem and thank you very much, I really appreciate wht you have done. Please feel free to come back anytime, night or day. We never close and again, thank you!!!!!