Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I have a 2006 chevy silverado with the service air bag on the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chevy silverado with the service air bag on the dic and the light as well. I replaced the sensors in the front , I traced all the wiring including under both seats and I found nothing that is causing it. I took the steering wheel off and saw nothing there either. if the clocking spring is not installed correctly what will the system do? Will it give the same error signal, how do you tell if the clock spring that I have right now is bad?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer.

Did you have the system scanned to see what codes are in the system?

Was the truck in an accident?

Did you have any water leaks in the truck?

Thanks
Mr GoodWrench

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No the truck wasnt in an accident, no water leaks that i know of, the only water leak that I was able to find was the third brake light but it was extremely minor. i didnt noticw the light until after I had finished replacing the sway bar links and the tie rod ends, the outer ones. After i fininshed installing those parts, I started the truck to take it for a test drive and service airbag has been on ever since.

You will need to get the Air bag system scanned to see what code(s) are in the system to determine what the malfunction is. It could be an issue with the drivers air bag system or an issue with the Passenger Presence System.

Thanks
Mr GoodWrench

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had it scanned today at my auto hobby shop on cherry point, nc. They gave me the code b0092 which is the PPS. I checked all the wiring just the same as i did before, i even went so far as to check the bladder on the seat by applying 5 volts and a ground and ensuring that the output voltage was changing and it was. However I dont know exactly what the output voltage should be in ratio to the amount of weight that is applied. Also, i checked all the wiring to see if it was chafted like alot of the internet says to do, however found nothing and all the wires ohm'd out with roughly 0 ohms. I am pretty sure it is the passenger seat considering the rear view mirror displays the passenger air bag on or off and as long as the error is on the dic the rear view mirror says that the passenger is not there even when sat on. As well, when I unplug the pps and plug it in the error signal wil go away however if you sit on the seat than get off the error comes back. I am not sure how to ensure that it is the pps module under the pass. seat or the bladder sensor giving the wrong voltage output to the module. Do you have any way to test the two of these items in question?