Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector

97 tahoe: my ignition key cylinder

Customer Question

how do i replace my ignition key cylinder for my 97 tahoe? And do i have to do anything like programming and if so how do i do this
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer.

I will send you the information you will need, but first you will need to tell me if the vehicle is equipped with a tilt or standard steering column.

Best regards,
Billy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tilt
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm sending you the information in two installments, I hope it will help you.
If you feel my answer was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards,
Billy.

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery: The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.
  1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system.
  3. Position the steering wheel half way between the upper and lower tilt stops.
  4. Remove the steering wheel.
  5. Roll back the shift lever seal from the upper and the lower shrouds.
  6. Remove the tilt wheel lever
  7. Remove the 2 TORX® screws from the lower steering column shroud.
  8. Remove the lower steering column shroud.
  9. Remove the 2 TORX® screws from the upper steering column shroud.

10. Lift the upper steering column shroud to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole.

11. Object Number: 375310  Size: SH

12. Using a bent tip awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole.

13. Object Number: 375316  Size: SH

14. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position.
  15. Using the bent tip awl, push down on the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin.

16. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.

17. Object Number: 375305  Size: SH

18. Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock module assembly by pulling the ignition lock cylinder away from the steering column.
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 375309  Size: SH

1. Insert the ignition lock cylinder through the upper shroud.
  2. Install the ignition lock cylinder to the lock module assembly by doing the following:
  3. 2.1. Align the positioning slot and locking tab slot on the lock module assembly to the positioning tab and locking tab on the ignition lock cylinder.
    2.2. Push the ignition lock cylinder into the lock module assembly until the locking tab locks against the locking tab.

4. Install the 2 TORX® screws to the upper shroud.
  5. Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

6. Install the lower shroud.

7. Install the shift lever seal to the upper and the lower shrouds.
  8. Install the steering wheel.
  9. Enable the SIR system.
  10. Connect the battery negative cable.
  11. Perform the Passlock learn procedure.
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

here is the information for the VTD relearn procedure as well. You will need to follow it step by step after you have read it thoroughly.

Best regards,
Billy.

PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn

Conditions

Important: If a new vehicle/powertrain control module (VCM/PCM) is being installed for the first the manufacturing enable bit will be set and the auto learn procedure may not be necessary.

The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the EVO/Passlock™ module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when any of the following parts are replaced:

The EVO/Passlock™ module
The passlock™ sensor
The VCM/PCM

The EVO/Passlock™ module will set the DTC B3031 module in the learn mode when entering the reprogramming procedure.

Steps

Important: Erase the passlock™ related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that are stored in the VCM/PCM.

Reprogramming Seed and Key .

The following is the Auto Learn Procedure:

1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
  2. Clear all EVO/passlock™ module and VCM/PCM DTCs.
  3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  4. Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
  5. If the passlock™ sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    If the EVO/passlock™ module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
  6. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  7. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.
  8. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the Passlock sensor, EVO/Passlock module and VCM/PCM. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

Was this information helpful to you? Is there anything else that I can help you with?

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button, otherwise I don't get reimbursed for my time. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards,
Billy.