Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show

2004 CHEVY COLORADO - WHEN I STEP ON THE BRAKE THE REAR BRAKES

2004 CHEVY COLORADO - WHEN I STEP ON THE BRAKE THE REAR BRAKES GRAB REALLY HARD. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE ADJUSTER ON ONE SIDE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AND THE OTHER NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED. WHY WOULD WE MODIFY THE OTHER ONE INSTEAD OF REPLACING IT. THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME OVER 400 TO MACHINE THE ROTORS, REPLACE ONE ADJUSTER AND MODIFY THE OTHER. I HAVE CHANGED BRAKES BEFORE. IS THIS A REPAIR - MODIFICATION I CAN DO?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer The reason for the modification on one side versus replacing is due to the rotation. GM doesn't make an updated starwheel for the passenger side. As far as the cost, it's excessive. I've done these before. You can do this yourself if you have the ability to grind. I am going to include the bulletin for this with illustrations. You need a left self adjuster, you'll need to resurface your drums and you'll need to grind off every other tool of the right self adjuster. If you do this yourself, it will cost you a tiny fraction of that cost.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 07-05-24-001B

Date: February 25, 2008

Subject:
EI07051 - Excessive Brake Grab, Aggressive Drag, Lock Rear Brakes Drums and Shoes (Remove High Spots from Drum Surface Finish)

Models:
2005-2008 Chevrolet Colorado
2005-2008 GMC Canyon

Supercede:

This bulletin is being updated to add model years and additional information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-05-24-001A (Section 05 - Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment that after the vehicle has set for a while, during the first few stops, it will feel like the brakes are grabbing excessively. In addition, the tires may chirp and/or leave skid marks during braking.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a mirror-like finish between the drum and the brake shoe.

Correction

Remove the rear drums and inspect the rear axle seals and wheel cylinders for leaks. Inspect the brake shoes for contamination. If no leaks are found, perform the following:

Important: Only replace the rear brake shoes if a leak is found and the shoes have been contaminated with fluid from the rear axle or wheel cylinder.

1.Machine both rear drums to eliminate high spots.

2.For the left side, replace the drum brake star wheel adjuster with P/N 19133371. This adjuster is a 15-tooth adjuster. Refer to Adjusting Drum Brakes in SI.

Important: Take care to grind off every other tooth as shown above.

Important: P/N 19133371 is threaded for the left side only. DO NOT attempt to install the adjuster (P/N 19133371) on the right side of the vehicle.

3.For the right side, grind off every other tooth of the star wheel adjuster. Use suitable dremel and cut-off wheel (preferably a 1-1/4 in X 1/16 ).

4.Reinstall the adjuster and adjust the brake shoes accordingly. Refer to SI for adjusting brake shoes.

Parts Information

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show