Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

Clean the throttle body on my 89 chevy pickup, want to know how?

Customer Question

I want to clean the throttle body on my 89 chevy pickup, want to know how?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, can you tell me what size engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its a 350
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Fairly straight forward. Remove the air intak hose assy going to T body. Get a can of carb cleaner and begin spraying the inside of the t body till nice and clean. You will also want to open the throttle /butterfly by hand to be sure the butterfly plate is clean on bothe sides. Once you have done this, go to item 31 shown in pic belwo. It is the IAC or iodle control valve. It scrwsw into the side of the throttle body. Unplug it and then unscrew it. Once in hand, clean it real good with the carb cleaner. Reinstall.

You may have a little ahrd time getting the truck to fire up. Just hold the pedal to the floor as you are cranking engine. It will start. Run doe couple minutes and repeat JUST cleaning the inside of T body. you do not need to take IAC out a second time. Put a can of good fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and you should be just fine

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about throttle Body cleaner?
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
If you are just wanting to clean the throttle body, then all you want to get is a can of regular carb cleaner, purchased at allparts stores and even dept stores, If you are asking on how to clean fule injectors, this takes a different chemical and whole other process to do and special equipment is needed. otherwishe, regular carb cleaner is all that is needed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I wanted to clean the fuel injectors, how would I do that, wont injector cleaner that you put in the gas work?
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
In many parts stores you cans rent the cleaner kit. It goes between the line and throttle body and flushes injectors while runing. Yes, a good fuel injector cleaner will work just fine added to the tank.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more thing, I put a new brake booster in and whats happens is every once in awhile when I slowly depress the brake pedal the pedal does not come back up. When I accelerate fast and start moving the pedal will come back up. When I just slam on the brakes it does not. Also when I drive fast around 70 and 90 mph and apply the brakes the pedal is a little harder like is is supposed to be. Do you think is a defective brake booster or is there something wrong with the vacuum?