Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Tell me if the rocker arms from a 2003 Gm 5.3L fit a 2004 GM 4.8L?

Can someone please tell me if the rocker arms from a 2003 Gm 5.3L fit a 2004 GM 4.8L? I've developed a rocker arm "tick" and from years of wrenching know it's a rocker. Trouble is, there's no adjustment as in years past. Thanks.

to answer the question,yes these are the same...but my opinion on the ticking is that it may be the o-ring on the oil pump strainer,,sometimes these will break and loose oil presure

Engine - Knocking or Lifter Noise

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-038

Date: December, 2002

Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace 0-Ring)

2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette
2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2003 GMC Sierra
with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

The 0-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Inspect the 0-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSP0.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table shown.

Oil Pump, Pump Screen and Deflector Installation

Important: Inspect the oil pump and engine block oil gallery passages. These surfaces must be clear and free of debris or restrictions.

1. Align the splined surfaces of the crankshaft sprocket and the oil pump drive gear and install the oil pump.
  2. Install the oil pump onto the crankshaft sprocket until the pump housing contacts the face of the engine block. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the oil pump bolts. Tighten the oil pump bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the crankshaft oil deflector.

1. Lubricate a NEW oil pump screen O-ring seal (3) with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the NEW O-ring seal onto the oil pump screen. Important: Push the oil pump screen tube completely into the oil pump prior to tightening the bolt. Do not allow the bolt to pull the tube into the pump. Align the oil pump screen mounting brackets with the correct crankshaft bearing cap studs.
  3. Install the oil pump screen (1).
  4. Install the oil pump screen bolt (4) and the deflector nuts (2).
8.1.Tighten the oil pump screen bolt (4) to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).
8.2.Tighten the crankshaft oil deflector nuts (2) to 25 Nm(18 ft. lbs.).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Problem is the oil pressure sits barely under 40 at idle and runs about 60 at 2000rpm (highway speed) So that makes me suspicious that the problem would be the oil pickup o-ring.

thats what i would think the problem is on this model..i hope i have helped