Michael Moore
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.

2000 chevy silverado 1500: a tow package..oil leak..rear main seal

I have a 2000 chevy silverado 1500 4X4 with a tow package and a 5.3L. I have and oil leak some where on the rear of the motor and it is dripping down to make it look like the rear mail seal but i had the rear main seal replaced already so it isn't that. i also have a slight vibration in the front end when driving from 30 to 60 miles an hour but it's not to bad yet. if you can help that would be great.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 7 years ago.
The most common cause for the oil leak at the rear of the engine is the cam sensor. Its located at the top rear of the engine. When it leaks, it comes out of the engine at the rear where the trans is mounted, just above the rear main engine cover. You can remove the cam sensor and replace the o-ring. You will have to match it up, its not sold seprertly from the sensor, or you cn just buy a new cam sensor.

Object Number: 260128  Size: SH

As far as the vibration, I would have the tires checked for road force (out of round) and balance. Should also have the front wheel bearings checked to make sure there not worn.