Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

2005 Chevy Cavalier: automatic transmission..I check the fluid level

Customer Question

2005 Chevy Cavalier I am changing the automatic transmission fluid and filter. I do not see a transmission dip stick so where do I add the new fluid. And How do I check the fluid level. It requires 6 quarts of tranny fluid?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

Adding Transaxle Fluid: With the engine running, add fluid at the vent cap location in half liter (1 pint) increments until fluid drains through the fluid check hole. Allow the fluid to finish draining through the fluid check hole. Fluid level should be at the bottom of the fluid check hole. Because the transaxle operates correctly over a range of fluid levels, fluid may or may not drain out of the fluid check hole when the fluid level screw is removed. If fluid drains through the fluid check hole, this transaxle may have been overfilled. When fluid stops draining, the fluid level is correct and the fluid level screw may be installed.

Transmission Fluid

Pan Removal 6.5L (6.9 Qt)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Where eactly is the vent cap located?

Where exactly is the fluid level screw in relation to the tranny pan?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

The oil level control plug is located on the torque converter side of the transmission.

The vent cap is located on top of the transmission near shift cable lever:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Soory I found the vent plug but did not find the oil level control plug
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, i cannot find any better pictures of the oil level plug than the one i sent you earlier. Best i can say is that it's about middle of the pan, just to the left of the bell housing, a few inches from the bottom of the housing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please advise you did get credit and $$ for this I though I hit accept back in 8-809 I just noticed your response today please advise??