GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2005 Chevy Impala LS. Blower runs high only even when ignition

2005 Chevy Impala LS. Blower runs high only even when ignition off. Replaced blower resistor. Worked for 20 minutes then blew high again. Replaced blower motor and resistor and worked for 20 minutes. Whatg other component should I replace/ check.
Submitted: 7 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. IS your system the auto or manual system?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
System in auto trans. I also fixed a problem with water leaking into the passenger area. I replaced the resistor twice and the blower motor as well.
The transmission is not what I am looking for, the dash controls for the the heater, is there sliders or a digital display?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sliders no digital. Seperate slider for passenger and driver side and simple knoib for blower speed

OK, what condition are the connections at that plug into the resistor? Are there any signs of heat damage or corrosion? What I would try first is check that and run a redundant ground from the resistor connector to the body. Also, what brand of resistor did you purchase and did you replace the fan and the resistor at the same time or one after the other?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The connections are clean. I tried replacing the resistor first and when it blew I replaced both the resistor and motor. I purchased an OEM resistor and motor from the local Chevy dealer. Yesterday it ran fine for 20 minutes. I turned the blower off and when I turned it back on it blew only on high and would not turn off.

Where on the new resistor should I run a redundant ground.

The redundant ground should go from the black wire in terminal A. It is not the one that goes to the motor. If this does not work, then check the wiring back to the controller and if that is good, replace the control head.