BOBBYSS, Master Technician

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier: overheating..Drove today..jumped..speedometer

Customer Question

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier was overheating thought it was thermostat and took to mechanic and had replaced. Drove today and thermostat jumped to 260 degrees after a few miles and speedometer showed I was only going 20 miles and hour. Could this be and electrical issue and not the thermostat. Fan is kicking on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer did both of these gauges change at the same time?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes and I checked the fluid level in vehicle was low. I do not think it should be low after they just replaced the thermostat should it? If the thermostat was just replaced they should have checked those fluid levels to make sure they were correct right? 4 and 1/2 hours later I checked vehicle. When key is on but engine not running gauges were showing about 240 degrees and still showing the 15-20 miles an hour on instrument panel. It is very strange.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
Okay. If the speedometer was still up at about 20 mph and if the temp gauge was showing this when the engine was cold then you have a problem within the instrument panel. You may have an internal short. You can typically have the instrument panel rebuilt on this vehicle