Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

i have a 99 suburban that is throwing a p0307 code have repaced

Customer Question

i have a 99 suburban that is throwing a p0307 code have repaced the intake gaskets checked to make shure injectors are firing, have good spark new plugs distributor cap and rotor but still have the problem can anyone give me some guidance?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
can you feel it skipping at idle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes it skips till you floor it then you cant feel it

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok well it has good spark to it..no vacuum leaks at the intake..so we are down to 3 things..low compression.....a sticking valve.....or number 7 injector..and you said your sure 7 is firing correct? it lights up a noid light or test light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

stong sprak at the plug there is a lot of gun in the engine it apears the the valves are moving but can tbe shure seating correct

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok ...if you have a gen 2 engine does the engine look lik
Notes

Bulletin No.: 06-06-04-046

Date: September 12, 2006

INFORMATION

Subject:
Information on Engine Misfire MIL/SES Light Illuminated or Flashing DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308, P0420 or P0430

Models:
1999-2007 Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC Full-Size Pickup and/or Utility Trucks

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L or 6.2L VORTEC GEN III, GEN IV, V-8 Engine (VINs V, C, T, Z, B, 3, M, 0, J, R, U, N, Y, K, 8 - RPOs LR4, LY2, LM7, L59, L33, LC9, LH6, LMG, LY5, L31, LQ4, LQ9, L76, LY6, L92)

with Active Fuel Management(TM) and E85 Flex Fuel

If you encounter vehicles that exhibit the above conditions, refer to SI for the appropriate DTC(s) set. If no trouble is found, the cause may be due to an ECM ground terminal that has corroded with rust over time. Inspect the main engine wiring harness ground terminal (G103) for this condition.

The wire terminal (G103) attaches either to the front or to the rear of the right side cylinder head, depending on the model year of the Full Size Pickup and/or Utility Trucks. If the ECM ground terminal has been found to be corroded, then follow the service procedure outlined in this bulletin to correct the corrosion issue.

Remove either the nut or bolt securing the main engine wiring harness ground terminal (G103) to the right cylinder head. Refer to the above illustration to determine where the ground is located on the vehicle (1).

Remove all rust from the ground terminal, the cylinder head and the retaining nut or bolt.

Position the main engine wiring harness ground terminal and install the nut or bolt.

Tighten:

Tighten the retaining nut or bolt to 16 N.m (12 lb ft).

Apply some type of electrical moisture sealant to protect the harness terminal from further corrosion.

Disclaimer

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
e whats in the picture?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my engine doesnt have the individual coils it has a distributor and wires could it still be a ground problem that started all of a sudden?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok just being sure later 99 could have had that engine in it..just being sure..ok then here is what is more than likley the problem..call a GM dealer and have them VISS your VIN number you might still be able to get this fixed for free ok? but thats whats wrong with your truck
Notes

File In Section: 06-Engine Emissions

Bulletin No.: 99066F

Date: March, 2003

SPECIAL POLICY

SUBJECT:
99066F - SPECIAL POLICY ADJUSTMENT - SEQUENTIAL CENTRAL PORT
FUEL INJECTION (SCPI) FAILURES IN CALIFORNIA ONLY (YF5
EMISSION EQUIPPED)

MODELS:
CERTAIN 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 S/T, M/L, C/K, G,
P, W4/NPR TRUCKS AND 2003 NPR TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH 4.3L
(RPO L35 - VIN CODE W OR RPO LF6 - VIN CODE X), 5.0L (RPO L30
- VIN CODE M) OR 5.7L (RPO L31 - VIN CODE R) ENGINE AND
CALIFORNIA EMISSION EQUIPPED (RPO YF5)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2002 and 2003 model years to the SCPI Special Policy on certain S/T, M/L, C/K, G, P and W4/NPR truck models. Please discard Special Policy Bulletin Number 99066E, dated February, 2003.

CONDITION

Some customers of 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 model year S/T, M/L, C/K, G, P, W4/NPR trucks and 2003 NPR trucks, that are registered in California, equipped with 4.3L (RPO L35 and VIN Code W, or RPO LF6 and VIN Code X), 5.0L (RPO L30 and VIN Code M) or 5.7L (RPO L31 and VIN Code R) engine, and California emissions (RPO YF5), may experience a "Service Engine Soon" light, misfire, rough idle or hard start due to a deposit build-up on the Sequential Central Port Fuel Injector (SCPI) poppet valve(s). The deposit build-up may cause injector poppets to stick closed. Certain fuels have been found to interact with the SCPI system to cause the deposits.

SPECIAL POLICY ADJUSTMENT

This special policy covers the SCPI failure condition described above for a period of ten (10) years or 200,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

The repairs will be made at no charge to the owner. This special policy applies ONLY to repairs requiring SCPI system servicing, injector cleaning and/or MFI assembly replacement of the SCPI system. The customer should not be charged for performing a system check when it is determined that the SCPI system is not the cause of a customer complaint (labor operation T5532 is provided to submit claims for such system checks). Any additional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the SCPI condition are not covered by this special policy. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered by new vehicle warranty will not be covered by this policy.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 1996,1997,1998,1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 S/T, M/L, C/K, G, P, W4/NPR and 2003 NPR model vehicles, registered in California, equipped with 4.3L (RPO L35 - VIN Code W, or RPO LF6 - VIN Code X), 5.0L (RPO L30 - VIN Code M) or 5.7L (RPO L31 - VIN Code R) engine; and California emissions (RPO YF5). This Special Policy covers all vehicles within these model years, with these engine and emissions RPO's.

PARTS INFORMATION

Parts required to complete this special policy are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" prior to ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

IMPORTANT :Isuzu Parts Ordering: In order to comply with the 10-digit Isuzu part numbering system, Isuzu dealers must add an "8" to the beginning and a "0" to the end of the listed 8-digit part numbers when ordering parts through AIPDN.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Customers will be notified of this special policy on their vehicles by General Motors (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

SERVICE PROCEDURE

System Check: Use strategy-based diagnoses listed in the front of the Driveability and Emissionssection of the service manual. If the SCPI system is operating properly, inform the customer that the vehicle does not have the condition listed in the owner letter. If poor driveability conditions persist, inform the customer that any further diagnosis and repairs will be at their expense if the vehicle is outside the parameters of the new vehicle warranty.

SCPI Injector Cleaning Procedure: If diagnosis leads to sticking poppet nozzles, use the service procedure from Service Bulletin 00-06-04-003B to clean the SCPI poppet nozzles. Please note that the service bulletin term for SCPI is Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI), but is referring to the same fuel system assembly. If the poppet nozzles have previously been cleaned and the sticking condition has reoccurred, refer to the correction paragraph below.

SCPI Fuel Tank Fill Pipe Assembly for 1997-99 M/L Van and 1999 - some 2000 C/K Truck: with 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L engines and built prior to listed VIN/Production dates on Service Bulletin 00-06-04-018: If diagnosis leads to sticking poppet nozzles on these models, use the service procedure from Service Bulletin 00-06-04-018 to replace the fuel tank fill pipe assembly, if this procedure has not been performed previously. Previous service procedure can be verified by checking GMVIS for Labor Operation L1065 on "M/L" trucks with replacement part number 15050573; or Labor Operation L1065 on "C/K" trucks with replacement part numbers 15747585 or 15747588.

Correction: If, after cleaning the SCPI poppet nozzles, the normal service manual diagnosis still indicates that the SCPI is the cause of the customer complaint, or if the injectors have previously been cleaned and the vehicle has again experienced sticking poppet nozzles, refer to Service Bulletin 00-06-04-003B and replace the SCPI fuel assembly with the MFI fuel assembly. Please note that the service bulletin term for SCPI is Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI), but is referring to the same fuel system assembly.

CLAIM INFORMATION

For vehicles repaired under this special policy, submit a claim with the information indicated.

CUSTOMER REIMBURSEMENT

Customer requests for reimbursement are for any previously paid repairs to, or replacement of, the Sequential Central Port Fuel Injection (SCPI) system. Repairs must have occurred within 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 200,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The requests are to be submitted within two (2) years of the date on which the repair was paid or within two (2) years of the date of this Special Policy Bulletin, whichever is greater.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

-Proof of ownership at time of repair.

-Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

Customers from the State of California, must submit requests for reimbursement directly to (Divisions) per instructions in the owner letter.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

Disclaimer

Terms of Use
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is not a california truck i just got off the phone with gm and they said it will not be covered so where else do i need to check? where is the ground on this model?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.

that bulliton needs to be followed next

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
even if gm says that they will not pay for it?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
this is what we do you have to hook up a fuel preasure guage to the fuel line under the hood..then with a scan tool we fire the injector and see how many PSI it drops then we compair that to a good cylinders fuel drop i think you will find that number 7 doesnt drop fuel PSI at all or very very little compaired to the good injector or cylinder we know is good..then what you can do it 2 things pull the injection unit and replace that number 7 injector hose and popit..or they have an upgraded injection unit complete that the new desighn this will never happen to it again and the cost of the updated unit complete is about 50 bux more for just one injector nozzel for number 7...if it did it to number 7 more will be sure to come over time...if your gonna keep the truck for a long time update the injection unit and be done with it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where can i order this updated injector assembly
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
from GM..if the part number is XXXXX listed in what i sent you you call a GM place and they should know what your looking for
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your help i think i am just gonna buy the improved injectors and go from there
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok let me know how it goes..the new design to this day i havent seen one plug up yet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is the new one the ones that the injector wires run all the way to the intake port beside the fuel line inside the intake or the ones that have ears on them with the wires just where it meets the distrobution block
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
yes thats the one.....the new ones have the wires that go to the end correct..the old ones had big black ears
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
then i have the new ones well what do i do now tried sea foam no luck so try another injector assembly?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
well we can try to clean it..but we should realy get a fuel guage on it and fire the injector with a scan tool to be sure its plugged or bad..what stinks is we would need to change that whole unit if its bad..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do they sell a scan tool at advance or autozone that will do the check on the injector?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
well it has to be able to allow you function tests..well another way to know if its the injector is you have spark.if you have compression over 170 PSI in that cylinder then we know its missing fuel to operate..so we can take that approach to it also..i dont want you to buy a tool you will only need once..