Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.

2003 chevy malibu key will not turn in ignition I always had

2003 chevy malibu key will not turn in ignition I always had to pull back on the gear shift lever til it made a click when in park and then the key would turn I had work done at a local garage on the air conditioning and told the sevice person about pulling back the gear shift lever but maybe he forgot and did not do it and now I am having a problem --just a thought thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

If pulling back on the shifter used to work, but now does not click, then i would suspect that the shift cable needs adjustment.

If it does do that click, but still wont turn, then i would suspect a problem in the ignition key cylinder. Sometimes sprying WD-40 in the cylinder would help. Spray in and turn the key back and forth quickly. This may fre it up for awhile, but eventually will stick again. This would incidate the cylinder needs to be replaced.