Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

2001 CHEV MALIBU.. TURNS OVER .. WONT START ..

Customer Question

2001 CHEV MALIBU.. TURNS OVER .. WON'T START ..
Turn key to ON position.. NO idiot lights working on dash. nothing .. no gas gauge...
checked fuses, relays ..got spark.
cleaned batt treminals ...fuse box link...
Key CAN be removed when in ACC or ON positions ...
I have had problems with the key turning at times .. it would not turn..
A locksmith said it was not the ignition switch because it turned the motor over ....
turn signals quit working at times until i press lightly on the 4 way flasher button... then they work again .

My mechanic says ...BAD BCM.
Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Hello Bottlbob,

What bugs me is the light on the dash not coming on when you turn the key to the on position. I have seen a lot of these malibu with ignition switches that wont give power to the modlues or the fuel pump.
If you have a volt meter we can do a simple test to verify it.
Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?
Is the security light on or flashing at any times?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
6 cyllinder ...
no lights at all when key turned to on position...
there is a blinking red light under my radio...

after trying to start car .. that radio light goes out ..
I turn the key to on .. wait 10 min and the radio light comes on ...

after attempting tpo sdtart .. radio light goes out again .
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
DO you have a volt meter?

The radio light, Are you talking about the red LED. Thats just a theft light for the radio. Ignore that light.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no volt meter ...
my car is at the mechanics .. he must have one
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I see,

check the ignition switch to see if power goes through the switch. the switch is behind the cluster and is a pain to get to just to check. What I do is check some fuses to see if they have power to the fuses. There are little metal tabs on the top of fuses to check them with them still pluged up.
Turn the key to the on position and check these fuses for power:
In the drivers side fuse box:
AIR BAG and TURN LPS fuses
RDO ACC and WIPER fuses
PCM ACC and IPC/BFC ACC fuses
IN the passenger side fuse box:
HVAC BLOWER and CRUISE

Check these for power with the key on. I have you check 2 fuses on each circuit of the ignition switch. If both fuses don't have power to them (example RDO ACC and the WIPER fuses),the ignition switch is not powering up that circuit.
When I say power, I mean 12 volts(battery voltage). If you measure like 5 volts, the ignition switch has a burnt spot on the contacts and not suppling the correct voltage to it. That will explain the lights on the cluster.
The key coming out in the on position is a Lock Cylinder problem
The turn signal problem is a flasher problem. They have a special policy on them at the dealer to get the flasher replaced for free if your car falls under the special Policy. Check with the dealer about that problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
The special policy got the hazzard flasher is good untill 150,000 miles. or 10 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan,
Are you going to answer my last question?
Do you feel replacing the ignition switch/lock cyllinder might solve the problem ?

might .. being ther key word lolol
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I always say to do some simple test first to tell for sure whats wrong. By the way you are describing the problem, The Ignition switchsounds like the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry for taking so long... last question and i will accept answer ...Cry
I bought a voltage tester ..went out to my mechanics and tested.. here are my findings :
AIR BAG andTURN LPS FUSES ......4 volts key on
RDO ACC could not find.. WIPER FUSES ...4 volts key on
PCM ACC and IPC/BFC ACC FUSE ....O volts key on

HVAC BLOWER and CRUISE .....9 volts key on

MY mechanic feels it is the.. BCM
I feel ignition switch ...
your verdict ?
thanks so much .......
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
What was the voltage at the battery?

Did both fuses on the sets have the same readings?

Did you have the black lead connected to a good ground?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Did not check the battery voltage .. should be ok .. newer battery .. Alternator replaced a month ago...

I do not understand .. "both fuses" ?
I checked the ones that I mentioned .. could not find the RDO ACC fuse .
I used a screw on the door for a ground .
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Like the AIR BAG andTURN LPS FUSES. These are 2 different fuses.

What I do is measure the battery voltage accross the 2 battery posts.
Then hook the black lead to a good ground and touch the red lead to the battery postive post and it should read the same as accross the battery. That mean you got a good ground.
The readings on the fuses should be within .5V of the same readings of the battery. If these readings are accurate, they are too low and the BCM will not work or power up with these readings. With these readings, the ignition switch is bad or the switch isnt getting power. The switch need to be removed and checked for power on the 2 wires and replaced if ok.
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. Dan,
.. sounds good to me ..
Thank you very much !
I would liked to have paid more for your help but I have not worked in two years ....Embarassed

Thank you again...
I will tell my buds about your service ... Laughing
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you requested me. How did you find me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I searched for info about BCM 's on a 2001 malibu and found a link to your site .
You answered a question similar to my problem..
You told the person to replace the ignition switch & 3 wire harness behind it .
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok Let me know how this comes out or if you need more information.
Thanks for requesting me and waiting for me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok Dan...
Thanks again !
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan,
I went and checked volts to battery & ground.. 12 volts ..
As I turned the key to ON ... I had all idiot lights ... and THE CAR STARTED ..

I am going to have the mechanic replace the ignition switch & key cyllinder ..
Your knowledge & help saved me from having to buy a new computer ...
thanks !Laughing
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Make sure he uses the new tumblers with that new lock cylinder. Let me know how it comes out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan !
the locksmith said my lock cylinder was perfect..
He said my key was worn out so he made another key to fit the factory cylinder.
I drove the car there and back to my mechanics with no problems ..
I am going to have him replace the ignition switch.
As much traveling that I do (29,000 miles) last year , I need dependability .
SOMETHING caused the problem... your answers make the most sense :)
thanks Dan....