Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

My power windows are out on my 2003 chevy Impala. Need to find

My power windows are out on my 2003 chevy Impala. Need to find the retained accessory power breaker...I found where were all the fuses are which are on the driver side intrumental panel....I just cannot find the retained accessory power breaker....where exaactly is it located and how do I fix the power windows???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
The circuit breaker is on the back side of the fuse box there.
Is all the windows not working?
Do you have a test light or a volt meter to use?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

None of the windows are working...and no I don't have a test light or a volt meter..

so how would get to the circuit breaker????

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
To get to the inside of the fuse box, You have to take the plastic pannel off that holds the trunk release button. then there is a metal bracket that has to come off and then you can get to it. Not the easiest thing to access.
Normally I start with checking the power and grounds to the drivers window switch. If I am missing the power then I check the relay and other items first.

Do the door locks work?
Do the radio stays on when you turn the car off before you open a door?
Does anything else not work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

everything else works but the windows....the radio, the doors locks..everything works.

That's why I am guessing that it has to be the circuit breaker.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
There is a relay that control the circuit breaker to the windows. That relay that is in the left fuse box. I believe its the only relay there on the outside. It is called the Retained accessory power relay. That relay is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module).
You can swap it with another relay from another fuse box if the #'s match.
If you had a test light, you could see if it is getting power to and from it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought another retained accessory power relay and changed the old one out for a new...everything else works better but the windows are still not working...
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You would need to check power on the yellow wire on the back side of the window switch or check the circuit breaker on the back side of the fuse box. There is a ground that control the windoe switches. That ground is Below the driver door opening, rear of the left A-pillar.
You would have to lift the carpet back to to see it.
Here is a picture of the ground. #2 in the picture.
graphic
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician