AZ_HUNTER, GM World Class Tech
Experience:  16 years GM Tech, ASE Master Certified

1989 cHEVY G20: fuel pressure,injectors..throttle body..accelerate

Customer Question

i HAVE A 1989 cHEVY G20 CONVERSION VAN WITH A 5.7 V8.Today while driving down the hiway at 55 to 60mph,the engine quit on me I coasted to shoulder.We have AAA and got towed home.I inherited this van from a deceased uncle who took great care of IT.Anyway ,before this happened I had tuned it up and it was running once we got it home my dad and I were trouble shooting and first I got a code 44, so I changes oxy sensor,still not stay running checked the fuel pressure,injectors,fuel pump fuel level ,then cleared the code but after checking the other sensors, We found when the vacuum line was disc from the throttle body to MAP sensor ,would start up could accelerate and idle breifly.When hooked vacuum line back up van struggled then shut of fwhen I pressed down on accel Is it possible the Map sensor is the problem.Please help!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AZ_HUNTER replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

It is very possible that this is the cause. the MAP sensor tells the computer what elevation the vehicle is at. If it is squed enough it may not be alowing enough fuel into the engine (leaning it way out). Also make sure you do not have a restriction in the air intake system.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt response,will try tommorrow and let you know.
Expert:  AZ_HUNTER replied 7 years ago.
Yes please do. If your still having issues, just come back to this post and I will see if I can help you more. Thanks again!