goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

I have a chevy malibu. My service vehicle soon light is on

I have a chevy malibu. My service vehicle soon light is on and stays on. I have recently had an oil change and a battery replaced. How can I find out what might be wrong. I have referred to my owner's manual but I do not have a driver information center to read messages. I purchased the car used and it does not have a factory radio in it. I am trying not to have to go to the dealership which charges $90 for a diagnosis. I tried auto zone but they did not detect any codes. Any suggestions on where to look or somewhere else I can go.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome. the warning message service vehicle soon is indicating a problem with the body control system. places like auto zone don't usually have a high end scan tool to read body control modules, that is why they didn't get any codes. things that can cause this message to come on can include simple things like any outside light that may be inop. [Headlights} [Taillights} { brake lights} even a radio missing or a after market radio can make this warning light to come on. the first thing to check is make sure all the outside lights are in working order. if all the lights check ok, you will need to find a repair shop that has a high end scan tool that can read body control codes.

If there is anything you don't understand, please feel free to ask me to explain