Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

i need help changing an alternator on 2001 chevy venture

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

This is a time consuming replacement- the engine has to be tilted forward, the power steering pump comes off, and the alternator bracket has to come off as well.

Here is removal procedure, replacement is just reverse procedure:

Rotating the Engine for Service Access

Tools Required

Engine Tilt Strap

1. Remove the throttle body air inlet duct. Set the park brake.
  2. Shift the transaxle into Neutral.
  3. Remove the engine mount strut bolts. Swing the engine mount struts aside. graphic

4. Install the strap
  5. Pull on the engine in order to rotate the engine forward.
  6. Tighten the strap .
  7. Drive Belt Replacement

Removal Procedure

graphic

1. Rotate the drive belt tensioner in order to release the tension on the drive belt.
    2. Remove the drive belt.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the drive belt to all of the pulleys except the generator pulley.
    2. Rotate the drive belt tensioner in order to install the drive belt over the generator pulley.
      graphic

Important: Ensure that the drive belt is aligned into the proper grooves of the accessory drive belt pulleys.

3. Ensure that the drive belt is properly routed.
    4. Generator Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the battery ground (negative) cable from the battery. Remove the windshield wiper system module cover. Rotate and secure the engine forward. graphic

2. Remove the generator B+ terminal nut.
      3. Remove the generator B+ lead.
      4. Remove the generator electrical connector.
      5. Remove the drive belt from the generator.

graphic

1. Remove the generator front bolt.
        graphic

2. Remove the generator rear bolts.
        graphic

3. Remove the generator from the generator bracket and position the generator above the drive axle.
      4. Remove the drive belt tensioner.
      5. Remove the generator bracket. Remove the power steering pipes from the power steering pipe retainer.
      6. Remove the fuel pressure test port (schrader valve) cap from the fuel injector rail.

Important: Do not disconnect the power steering pipes from the power steering pump.

7. Remove the power steering pump and reposition the power steering pump in front of the timing chain cover in order to provide access for the generator. Remove the generator from the vehicle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this does not help...in the picture you forgot to include the frame, wheels, body, fender, fire wall, windshield wipers and everything else. the alternator cannot get around any of this.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Those are factory directions that all techs use in order to replace the alternator. If you dont do the very first part - remove the engine struts and rotate(tilt) engine and secure it with an engine strap, no, you wont be able to remove the alternator. And the directions do tell you to remove the wiper control module

i have removed dozens of these using the directions provided.

If you want I can opt out and see if another expert has directions that differ than those GM put out for it.