GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2003 chevy: 2500 diesel..driver side head seats,it..trouble shoot

Customer Question

I have a 2003 chevy silverado hd 2500 diesel,ok I'm having trouble with driver side head seats,it will come on for about 5 sec then go off,what I would to do is trouble shoot the problem myself,need to know a starting point,then steps and reading has I check the system out!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. This is not hard to diagnose. Is sounds like one of the heater elements is out. HERE is a document to test the resistance of the elements. There is a check that you can do. Start with the key off and then start the engine. turn the passengers side back only on. If it stays on for 2 mins, then turn the passengers seat base on. If it stays on, then turn the drivers seat back on, if it stays on, then turn the base on. Which ever turns the system off, is likely the issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I did the quick check ,passenage side is fine,turn the back on on driver side it came and went out,then turn bottom on,same thing!
OK, I suspect the back element, and maybe the seat base. Use the instructions in the link to measure the resistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will do that at my buddy shop,will be awhile before I'll get back to you!

Very well. Please be sure to be exact on the resistances. They are very specific. If you find one that is out, they are about 180 for the element.

Also, you may reply at any time and I will reply, even after you accept my answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok,the resistances on 1 was 9.5 and the other was 9.6,so assume both are bad,now some pointer on disassembling the seat,things to look for in not damaging anything
OK, the seat base has 2 nuts on the front, then you can lift a little and slide forward. You will then need to disconnect the connectors and remove. You will need side cutters and a hog ring clip to get the seat base pad off to replace the element. The seat back is easy. With the base off, separate the bottom clip, pull the fabric up and reach up under the cover to remove the seat heater.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok,I order the element today,it will be a few days before I wil;l receive the parts,can I leave this open for now,incase there is other problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I receive half of my order today,should receive the other half any day now,can you tell me what size the star socket is?
To remove the seat, I do not, you need only a 13mm socket.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
13 mm socket is to big,and I see that this is costing me 28 dollar,how is that went I seen 18 dallor

Your question is only for 18 so I don;t understand how you are seeing 28?

What bolts are you trying to take out on your seat? In the picture below, the #2 is the front and they point to the nuts you need to that out. These are the seat base under the front.

It also seems I got the models confused, there is no hog ring clips on these.

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 378531  Size: SH

1. Remove the front nuts (2) on the underside of the seat cushion.
  2. Remove the front seat trim panel. .
    Object Number: 407184  Size: SH

3. Unsnap the lumbar cable (6). Disconnect the lumbar wire harness if equipped with power lumbar.
  4. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 811855  Size: SH

5. Remove the pressure sensor (2) from the front passenger seat frame, if equipped with the Inflatable Restraint Passenger Presence System.
    Object Number: 378531  Size: SH

6. Lift the seat cushion up off the rear plastic holders (1) on the underside of the seat cushion, and pull forward.
  7. Remove the seat switch bezel.
  8. Object Number: 407184  Size: SH

9. Remove the lumbar actuator (5).
    Object Number: 386197  Size: SH

10. Unclip the seat trim cover from the seat cushion frame.
    Object Number: 386196  Size: SH

11. Using a side motion, carefully separate the seat cushion trim cover from the seat cushion pad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
front and back 2 nuts,apear to be a star shape nut,bought 12 point 13 mm socket and it fit over top of the star nut,just spun arount it!

No, there are 2 13mm nuts that hold the seat cushion to the seat frame. Can you post a picture of the nuts you are trying to take out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphicgraphic
No those are to remove the whole seat. If you choose to go that approach, they are an E20 and an e16. Both are inverted torx. I usually only remove the seat pad with the 2 nuts under the front of the seat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry,it took mso to get back,had to find a cheap seat cover for the bottom,got it install,now haven trouble with control,push button for back only and bottom heat up,and it seem that the 3 setting for temp control seem to be at same setting all tho the light go out has lower setting,it doesn't work same as passager side

Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Just so we are sure, the back is the vertical button, both are the bottom button. They are often confused.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes,and passager side has same set up,and when I pust the back only button,just back heat up.I did replaces botn heating elements!
OK, so you push the back and the bottom only heats up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok just when out try it again,but being it is in the sun ,but is seem that the bottom get real hot ant the back seem a little warm,but like I said the sun is beating down on seat right now!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes!but let me let the sun go down I sure sun is the one warming the back now!but,I know when pust the back only but,just the back of the seat is suppose heat up,same as passage side!

Ok, lets find out when the sun goes down. I will be on this evening.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok,I just pust the back button on,the light lit up in the botton so did all 3 light in the other botton,now only bottom seat is heating up
Is there a chance you put the wrong element in the seatback and the seat base?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they look the same.and I gave part all info on my truck,and all the plug match up
The are not the same, the bottom had a hole in the middle for the seat attachment and the back does not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No! you didn't unstand,the element look exacly like the ones I replace,the back seat element no where close to the bottom seat element,

Ok, Does the seat base get hot then? I am sorry, given that this is over 74 days since you first contacted us, I am trying to remember what I was thinking. You replaced the seat back, but the seat base works fine. Now you turn the seat back only on and both come on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I replace base ansd back,the back plug into the base or the bottom element,the it plug into a bigger plug on floor,could the be problem in the switch or the control module

I doubt the switch because it is a simple switch, but it is possible the module or software in the module is the issue. There have been a few updates.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok,is possible that there is a reset,being I replace the elements?
No, the system resets every ignition cycle so it would have reset already. You can try a capacitor discharge. Take both batteries off, touch the ends of one of the cables together for 10 seconds, then attach it to the battery. See if this works.