Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

How do you change a cv joint on a 2006 chevy cobalt--drivers side?

How do you change a cv joint on a 2006 chevy cobalt--driver's side?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, usually it is more cost effective to replace the axle as a reman unit instead of just the CV joint. Axles are sold reman with joints on both ends ready to install. If you are going for just the CV joint, which one are you replacing? behind the tire? at trans etc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi tracer,

I think I should replace the half-axle and seal
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
ok, let me get the directions and send. Back shortly
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Thde directions speak of special tools to get axle out of transmission. You obviously do not have them. The axle is held into trans by a circlip. If you get 2 small prybars or 2 large screwdrivers, you can wedge bewteen axle and trans and "pop" the axle out/

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut. Insert a drift (1) or a flat-bladed tool into the caliper and the rotor to prevent the rotor from turning.
  4. Carefully loosen the wheel drive shaft splines from the wheel bearing/hub assembly using a wood block and a hammer. The nut can be partially reinstalled to protect the threads. Important: Be sure that the wheel speed sensor wiring harness is repositioned away from the ball joint after disconnecting the electrical connector from the sensor.
  5. Disconnect the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement.
  6. Separate the wheel drive shaft from the wheel bearing/hub assembly, then support the shaft assembly.

1. Assemble the J 45341 and the J-2619-A to the wheel drive shaft inner tripot housing assembly.
  2. Using the J 45341 and the J-2619-A, separate the wheel drive shaft from the transaxle, then remove the shaft assembly.
  3. Inspect the transaxle output shaft seal for damage and/or contamination and replace if necessary.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the J 44394 into the transaxle output shaft seal.

1. Install the wheel drive shaft into the transaxle until the drive shaft splines are past the seal, remove the J 44394, then fully install the drive shaft.
  2. Verify that the wheel drive shaft is properly engaged:
    • Grasp the inner tripod housing and pull the inner housing outward. Do NOT pull on the wheel drive axle shaft.
    • The wheel drive shaft will remain firmly in place when properly engaged.

1. Install the wheel drive shaft (1) to the wheel bearing/hub assembly.
  2. Connect the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the wheel drive shaft nut (3) to the wheel drive shaft assembly (1).
    • Tighten the nut to 210 Nm (155 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Inspect the transaxle fluid level.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist