GMKindl
GMKindl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 Years Master ASE Certified, ASE Advanced Engine Performance, GM Platinum Pro Service Guild
19945676

The tip came off of my 2004 duramax oil dip stick while I

The tip came off of my 2004 duramax oil dip stick while I was checking my oil. What should I do?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMKindl replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Is this a wire/cable type oil dipstick? Or is it the flat metal type? Did thehandle come off or did a piece go into the engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The dipstick is the cable type and it was the piece that went into the engine.

Expert:  GMKindl replied 7 years ago.

So the cast portion of the dipstick on the very bottom fell into the engine? Or did tit break further up the cable?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The tip piece that tells how much oil is in the engine. I assume that it is in the bottom of the oil pan. I am just wondering if it would be safe to start the engine?
Expert:  GMKindl replied 7 years ago.
Yes. If you have reason to believe that the tip is in one piece then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will fall into the oil pan and reamin there. It's too big for the oil pump to suck up as the pick-up screen will keep it from getting into the rest of the engine. You may get lucky and actually have it come out at the next oil change. I would replace the dipstick and not worry too much about it myself. If it were groud up somehow then I would be alittle more concerned, but it doesn't sound like this is the case.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is nothing around the crank that might catch the end piece and cause other damage?
Expert:  GMKindl replied 7 years ago.
No. The tip of the dipstick will drop staright off into the oil pan. The piece may bounce around a few times but it will likely find a home in the croner of the pan or baffle in time and not ever cause you a problem.