GM_MASTER_DENNY, GM and ASE Master Tech/Shop Foreman
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive repair. GM Mark Of Excellence Winner for several years.

2005 Venture: van..I find the code to unlock the radio

Customer Question

I replaced the radio in my 2005 Venture van and it is displaying a message saying locked. How do I find the code to unlock the radio?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM_MASTER_DENNY replied 7 years ago.
It will require use of a Tech2 scan tool to reprogram the radio. You can take it to a GM dealer or any shop that has a Tech2. The radio has to have the vehicle's VIN programmed into it. It is part of the security for the radio.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am looking for someone to help diagnose the code online. We do not have access to a dealership right now.
The only way to do it is with the Tech2.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I read another post that the tech had the owner enter and press some buttons on the radio to get a code and then he was able to provide the unlock code with instructions.
I know you can do that with the older radios. When I checked my service info, it only shows the scan tool method. Did you replace the radio with an identical radio?
Radio Setup

Important: The Radio Setup option does not contain a submenu. Radio Setup will configure the following systems:

Steering wheel controls
Learn VIN
Class 2 radio messages

The radio setup procedure will also clear the following messages:

To setup a new radio for the vehicle, perform a VIN Relearn, located in the Special Functions section on the scan tool. Cycle the ignition when complete.

If the radio is not properly setup, the radio will display a locked message (LOC) or Calibrate.

Radio Tuner Calibration

Important: The Country Code option does not contain a submenu. Country Code sets the point of sale, or origin, in the radio in order to calibrate the tuner for the country that the vehicle will be used in.

To calibrate the radio, select COUNTRY CODE under the Special Functions menu on the scan tool.

Radio Chime Volume Selection

Important: The Loud Chime Volume option and Chime Level option does not contain a submenu. This selection is used for setting the volume when the radio is replaced.

To set the chime volume, select CHIME SETTINGS under the Special Functions screen and follow correct menu headings.

Radio Messages

CAL (Calibration): The audio system has been calibrated for your vehicle from the factory. If CAL appears on the display it means that the radio has not been configured properly for your vehicle and must be returned to the dealer for service.

LOC (Locked): This message is displayed when the THEFTLOCK® system has locked up. Take the vehicle to the dealer for service.

If any error occurs repeatedly or if an error cannot be corrected, contact your dealer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry - it came from an 02 Impala - I hane the vin #.
It will have to be programmed with a new calibration for the sound system. I can't promise you that it will even work at all since the unit you are installing is 3 years older out of a totally different vehicle type.