GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM
6758627

2007 suburban stabilitrak off warning came on, what is the

Customer Question

2007 suburban stabilitrak off warning came on, what is the cause? Thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 5 years ago.
Hello! Under what conditions did it come on under? How many times has it come on? Did the light go out on its own? Any previous work done or prior "incedents"?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The light came on after I hit a pot hole, no prior problem. The check engine light is on, the stabilitrak off comes on with the traction control light off too at highway speed.

I often don't like fielding questions like this, because there is usually little a DIYer or even independant garage can do about Stability problems on such new vehicles, but I will try to help as much as I can.

For starters, anytime the Stability system is disabled, there is a fault code stored somewhere, either a Powertrain code or a Chassis code. Many shops don't have the equipment to read chassis codes, which would requrie a trip to the dealer. Knowing what code is stored, would help isolate to source of the problem. I can tell you that we have replaced many Steering Wheel Position Sensors for this concern.

There are also some software updates for the Stability system, which would need to be checked. They are VIN specific (not all 2007 Suburbans get the software update), so you won't know if you need an update or not until somebody compares what software you have versus whats available. Again, this is a dealer only service.

However, a few things you can do! Since it happened after you hit a pothole, first check to make sure the steering wheel is still straight. If something happened in the suspension and the wheel is no longer straight (or the wheel was ever taken off and not put back on straight) this will disable the stability system.

All four tires must match what is on the tire placard. If you have changed tire sizes, have some new tires mixed with bald tires or have a spare on, it can disable the stability (wouldn't be related to the pot hole though).

Lastly, most stability vehicles have a position sensor mounted at each wheel.

I have often found the sensor linkages pulled apart or disconnected, which will also disable the stability. If the pothole jarred one of the sensors and the linkage seperated or came undone, you may be able to fix that yourself.

Below is a picture of the sensor, so you know what to look for. Your truck may or may not have it, but if you do, make sure its not damaged and the linkage arm (#1 in the picture) is connected on both ends, of all 4 wheels.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wheel was not taken off and the tires are the 4 originals and not taken off. I'm going to check the linkage next. Just wondering if I took this to a dealer what do you think it might cost me to do the updates and sterring wheel sensor? I know this is really not fair but just to get an idea. Somewhere online I read that it can be caused by wheel alignment going out (maybe the pothole did it?), is that a possibility.

Camber/Caster won't cause it, but of the Toe is out, causing the wheel to not be center can cause it.

Every place is different. I usually check updates for free, and charge 1 hour labor to do the actual programming, if something new is available. If you give me your VIN, I will look up what is available, but I won't be able to tell you what you have. If there is nothing new at all, then you will know to not bother. I just need the last 8 of your VIN.

The Steering Wheel Position Sensor is about $100 and about 2 hours labor, so I would estimate around $300 (which is why I would check everything you can by yourself, and then have codes checked if all else fails before you spend money on parts replacement!)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
last eight VIN is 7G216845

Here is what shows for your VIN:

1590578100002F8C- New software with diagnostic enhancements for DTC C0455, Wheel Speed monitoring, and changes to TCS/VSES telltale ON time.
1589142300009623- New calibration for start of production.
158502910000E1E2- Operating system

2589538600003566- Calibration for vehicles equipped with 17 or 18 inch wheels. New calibration to address false EBCM activation.
1590577100004A83- New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC C0455, Wheel Speed monitoring, and changes to TCS/VSES telltale ON time.
1589141400009F9A- New calibration for start of production.
158503120000DBDC- Calibration for vehicles equipped with 17 or 18 inch wheels.
16006999N/A- Electronic brake

But like I said, I can't tell whats already in your truck, you may or may not already have it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I just drove the truck and it seems that the warning does not come on until I get the speed up to 60 mph and also it has a funny stuttering sound when starting up, any clue? Sounds like a trip to the dealer? I could not find that linkage thing under based on the drawing.

I wish I could be of more help, but if you have checked the obvious & easy things, then it just needs to be check out by the dealer, because without knowing what the code has set for, you may be needlessly replaceing parts which would cost way more than an accurate diagnosis the first time.

I hope I have helped!

Experience: GM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, given the situation, the dealer it is. Thank you for your assistant. This site is pretty good, worth the money.

I hate having to reccomend the dreaded "dealer trip", but sometimes you don't have much choice! There has always been the "right to repair" laws wich require manufacturers to release the technology to the aftermarket so that any shop can repair your vehicle, but the cost for an independant shop to purchase it for every manufacturer is overwhelming, so most places don't bother!

I hope I have been of assistance to you, have a great day!