Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

How do you replace heater core in 1999 chevy tahoe 4x4.

Customer Question

how do you replace heater core in 1999 chevy tahoe 4x4. old body style
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

this may help

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Service and Repair

HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT

Figure 10 - Heater Case (1 Of 2)
Figure 11 - Heater Case (2 0f 2)

Remove or Disconnect

1. Drain the engine coolant.
  2. Remove the instrument panel storage compartment.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connectors, as necessary.
  4. Remove the center floor air distribution duct.
  5. Remove the hinge pillar trim panels.
  6. Remove the blower motor cover.
  7. Remove the blower motor.
  8. Remove the steering column.
  9. Roll the instrument panel back.
  10. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir.
  11. Remove the heater hoses.
  12. While holding heater case to the cowl, remove the screw on interior side of cowl, near the evaporator pipe (if equipped).
  13. On the engine side of the cowl, remove the four screws that hold the heater case to the cowl.
  14. On the engine side of the cowl, remove the two nuts holding the heater case to the cowl.
  15. Remove the heater case.
    • It may be necessary to have an assistant when removing heater case.
  1. Remove the seven screws that hold the heater cover to the heater case.
  2. Remove the heater cover.
  3. Remove the heater core from retainer.

Figure 10 - Heater Case (1 Of 2)
Figure 11 - Heater Case (2 0f 2)

Install or Connect

1. Install the heater core into retainer.
  2. Install the seven screws that hold heater cover to heater case. Replace the seals.
  3. Install the heater cover.
    • Make sure heater cover is properly sealed.
  1. Install the heater case.
    • May be necessary to have an assistant when installing heater case.
  1. On the engine side of the cowl, install the nuts that hold the heater case to the cowl.
  2. On the engine side of the cowl, install the four screws that hold the heater case to the cowl
  3. On the interior side of the cowl install the screw.
  4. Tighten the following fasteners. Tighten
    • Tighten the screws on engine side of the cowl to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in) .
    • Tighten the two nuts to 2.8 N.m (25 lb in) .
    • Tighten the screw on interior side of the cowl to 11 N.m (97 lb in) .
  1. Install the heater hoses.
  2. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.
  3. Roll the instrument panel forward.
  4. Install the steering column.
  5. Install the blower motor.
  6. Install the blower motor cover.
  7. Install the hinge pillar trim panels.
  8. Install the center floor air distribution duct.
  9. Connect the electrical connectors, as necessary.
  10. Install the instrument panel storage compartment.
  11. Add the engine coolant.
  12. Inspect the system for leaks.