Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

2001 tahoe: my abs and Emergency brake light come on and stay on

I have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3 LS and my ABS and Emergency brake light come on and stay on. It is not all of the time that these lights come on though. SOmetimes all I have to do is turn the ignition off then back on and they will go away. Chevy is asking for $100 just to look at it.
ok...the beast way to do this easy yourself is we need to find out what the code or codes are in the ABS..the only way you can get the codes is with a scan there any way you can get the ABS codes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I doubt it. I do not know anyone with a scan tool. I guess that is what they use at the dealership. Any advice on how I can get my hands on one?
hmmm..any regular garages around that would pull the ABS codes for a coffe or a tip?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Possibly. I can check. If not am I stuck going to the dealership?
well does the ABS when the lights not on act ok?do you have any unwanted ABS activation under 10 MPH ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes everything seems to be fine with the ABS. No unwanted activation under 10mph
is the brake fluid full? if so the only thing we can do is get the ABS code..or live with sorry i wish i had a quick fix..but without a code we are guessing
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just spoke with somebody at Brake Check that can get me the codes for free. how do I get back in touch with you later?
just post right back threw here ill be here..let me know
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will do...thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got an answer...the code he was getting was an EBCM module, which I was told is about $1,000 just for the part. During my visit he also told me my front end was loose which probably caused my hub bearings to go bad because those were making clicking noises when he turned the tires. He said by changing the front end and hub bearings it may make the EBCM code go away but he couldn't be certain. In the meantime my ac belt popped and was told I need a new belt, new tensioner and possibly new compressor. Your thoughts??
wow they hit you all at once...well the front hubs will not cause an EBCM code....those belts pop off all the time usually because the tensiors suck on those...if you can turn the compressor FRONT of the compressor its not locked up...just a belt and a back to the ABS problem that sucks when the EBCM goes bad they are so have 2 choises..fix it...or get under there and unplug it and drive it regualr without ABS..the brakes will work fine you just wont have ABS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I have to unplug the EBCM in order to drive without abs or can I just leave it plugged in
if you dont mind the lights on leave it alone..when the ABS light is on its telling you that there is an ABS malfunction and that it is shut off