Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

brakes on rear of my 2001 chey monte carlo do not work .Why?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
ok would like to help if i can..when you say they wont work..how do you know? are they drum or disc rears?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
4 whl disc.
the dics on the rear are not ploished as would be when brake has been working they are rusted on one side the other has intmittent pressure wear on it.....about once a mnoth brake warnig light comes on. then goes out on its own.
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
ok.. have the rear brakes ever been worked on? are the rear rotors and pads original?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
pads and rotors were replace about 3 yrs ago .......pistons are free and move with light pressure applied to re-set them as you would when installing new pads.
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
ok so the rear rotors have kinda delamintaed and the surface is all rusted and pitted ect...?where they GM rotors?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes to delaminateion.......unknown GM or after market. work was done at a dealership......unknown type of dealer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
pads are like new. which indidcates brake have not been working for awhile.
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
ok..what happens with those stock GM rotors is they are made out or recycled metal..they rust out like yours did..and the rust will not grab the pads to stop the car...replace the 2 rear rotors with aftermarket rotors(they are not recyled metal)..then make sure the metal peices where the pads slide on are lubed so they slide freely on them and that caliper piston colapses in an..and you should be in great shape
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK..let me get this right........there is NO..repeat NO indication that the rear brakes are working. no polishing of the rotors on one side and only indication of light pressure on other side and the problem is the rotors themselves? And the solution is to replace the rotors!
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
the rotor surface is delaminated..rust will not stop a car..and you said the pistons are free..and i said also be sure that the rear pads slide freely in the pad retainers(the small steel guides)..thats all there is..i can send my kids threw college with all the rear rotor problems these cars had just like yours..the key thing is the pad and caliper slides lubed and moving freeley and new rear rotors..the rust goes too deep in the surface...rust will not cause enoguh friction with the pads to stop the rear properly..the braking system in that car is 70% front and 30% back braking as desighed..the rears only do 30% stopping..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just checked the rotors, they are stamped GM. So Will follow your recommendation........Please understand I only want to do this once! That is why I am looking at your solution. If this is not the solution then what would be next?
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
the solution is the rotors..and like i said it is criducle that the caliper pison moves..and the slides for the caliper are lubed and move freely..and last but not least the pads where they slide need to be lubed so the pads slide in the little slides..thats all there is too it..i have never seen anything else cause this problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you will give it a shot ...........thanks for your time
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.

anytime