Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 Years of automotive repair experience. Technicial Assistant Specialist for OEM.
10906483

2001 Chevy Blazer: power seats..Dash lights are clicking on and off

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer. The power seats are not working. Dash lights are clicking on and off. I think it might have to do with the passenger front seat. The heater in that seat has not been working right. Our remote keys will change the seat setting for my husband and I. Those started not to work. Then the lights on the dash flashing. We have blown two fuses for the seats, cruise and some controls. Last night when we were driving home, if I would rock side to side in the passenger seat the dash lights flashed, it appeared with my movements. My husband unplugged something under the drivers seat. That didn't help. He can't find anything to unplug under the passenger seat. I know that electrical things are a pain to track down. Please give me advice on what to try next or do we need to take it to the dealer or electrical place.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dj replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Take the seat out. The problem is either the wiring to the seat or under the carpet right under the seat. Either way, that's where the problem is.

Look for chaffed wires. The harness is tied to the seat frame and there are sharp pieces of metal that will cut through the insulation.

Carefully cut the insulation with an Exacto knife and unwrap the tape from the wires. If it's just one wire or two wires that are damaged, wrap them individually with electrical tape and then put several layers of tape around the entire harness. Then use a piece of coffee can lid, cut into a strip to make a protector. Tape this to the harness to protect it in the future.

Thank you in advance for accepting my answer. If you feel that my response isn't helpful, please let me know and I will release your question back into the list.

Dj