GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

How do I program the Garage door and gate opener devise in

Customer Question

How do I program the Garage door and gate opener devise in my 2009 Chevy Silverado?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome. Below are the instructions for programming your Homelink system. Included is a phone number should you have troubles. The instructions are for 2 different types, first is rolling code which you probably have and the second is for fixed code. Please let me know if these help or if you need more help.

Programming Universal Home Remote -- Rolling Code

For questions or help programming the Universal Home Remote System, call 1-866-572-2728 or go to learcar2u.com.

Most garage door openers sold after 1996 are Rolling Code units.

Programming a garage door opener involves time-sensitive actions, so read the entire procedure before starting. Otherwise, the device will time out and the procedure will have to be repeated.

To program up to three devices:

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B1
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. From inside the vehicle, press the two outside buttons at the same time for one to two seconds, and immediately release them.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3
  2. Locate in the garage, the garage door opener receiver (motor-head unit). Locate the "Learn" or "Smart" button. It can usually be found where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the motor-head unit and may be a colored button. Press this button. After pressing this button, complete the following steps in less than 30 seconds.
  3. Immediately return to the vehicle. Press and hold the Universal Home Remote button that will be used to control the garage door until the garage door moves. The indicator light, above the selected button, should slowly blink. This button may need to be held for up to 20 seconds.
  4. Immediately, within one second, release the button when the garage door moves. The indicator light will blink rapidly until programming is complete.
  5. Press and release the same button again. The garage door should move, confirming that programming is successful and complete.

To program another Rolling Code device such as an additional garage door opener, a security device, or home automation device, repeat Steps 1 through 5, choosing a different function button in Step 3 than what was used for the garage door opener.

If these instructions do not work, the garage door opener is probably a Fixed Code unit. Follow the Programming instructions that follow for a Fixed Code garage door opener.

Programming Universal Home Remote -- Fixed Code

Most garage door openers sold before 1996 are Fixed Code units.

To program up to three devices:

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3
  1. To verify that the garage door opener is a Fixed Code unit, remove the battery cover on the hand held transmitter supplied by the manufacturer of the garage door opener motor. If there are a row of dip switches similar to the graphic above, the garage door opener is a Fixed Code unit. If you do not see a row of dip switches, return to the previous section for Programming Universal Home Remote - Rolling Code.

Your hand held transmitter can have between eight to 12 dip switches depending on the brand of transmitter.

The garage door opener receiver (motor head unit) could also have a row of dip switches that can be used when programming the Universal Home Remote. If the total number of switches on the motor head and hand held transmitter are different, or if the dip switch settings are different, use the dip switch settings on the motor head unit to program the Universal Home Remote. The motor head dip switch settings can also be used when the original hand held transmitter is not available.

Example of Eight Dip Switches with Two Positions

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3

Example of Eight Dip Switches with Three Positions

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3
  2. The panel of switches might not appear exactly as they do in the examples above, but they should be similar.

The switch positions on the hand-held transmitter could be labeled, as follows:

A switch in the up position could be labeled as "Up," "+," or "On."
    A switch in the down position could be labeled as "Down," "-," or "Off."
    A switch in the middle position could be labeled as "Middle," "0," or "Neutral."
  3. Write down the eight to 12 switch settings from left to right as follows:
    When a switch is in the up position, write "Left."
    When a switch is in the down position, write "Right."
    If a switch is set between the up and down position, write "Middle."
    The switch settings written down in Step 2 now become the button strokes to be entered into the Universal Home Remote in Step 4. Be sure to enter the switch settings written down in Step 2, in order from left to right, into the Universal Home Remote, when completing Step 4.
  4. From inside your vehicle, first firmly press all three buttons at the same time for about three seconds. Release the buttons to put the Universal Home Remote into programming mode.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3
  5. The indicator lights will blink slowly. Enter each switch setting from Step 2 into your vehicle's Universal Home Remote. You will have two and one-half minutes to complete Step 4. Now press one button on the Universal Home Remote for each switch setting as follows:
    If you wrote "Left," press the left button in the vehicle.
    If you wrote "Right," press the right button in the vehicle.
    If you wrote "Middle," press the middle button in the vehicle.
  6. After entering all of the switch positions, again, firmly press and release all three buttons at the same time. The indicator lights will turn on.
  7. Press and hold the button that will be used to control the garage door until the garage door moves. The indicator light above the selected button should slowly blink. This button may need to be held for up to 55 seconds.
  8. Immediately release the button when the garage door moves. The indicator light will blink rapidly until programming is complete.
  9. Press and release the same button again. The garage door should move, confirming that programming is successful and complete.

To program another Fixed Code device such as an additional garage door opener, a security device, or home automation device, repeat Steps 1-8, choosing a different button in Step 6 than what was used for the garage door opener.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't work.
OK, what model of garage door opener do you have and how old is it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The instructions did not work.