Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

I have a 2004 silverado and dash cluster is out how can I test to be

I have a 2004 silverado and dash cluster is out how can I test to be sure it needs to be replaced
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer,

What is the problem with the instrument cluster? Can you clarify "out"?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have no speedo, tach, fuel ,oilpressure,coolant temp,battery voltage,and no digital readings for gear selector and no odometer, but all the lights work onthe dash. Just happened no warning also gauges are no at the lowest point

Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

The instrument cluster on your truck is a computer module, GM has a special policy in which they will replace the cluster for the problems noted free of charge under 70000 miles and parts only from 70000 to 80000. They have had a few problems with the cluster on the 03-05 trucks. I can check to see if yours falls within the coverage range if you send me the vin.

The problem you are having sounds like the cluster has either lost power, ground, or communication line, or the cluster itself is bad.

The first step would be to check the fuses associated with the cluster, Check the following fuses in the underhood fuse block, IPC/DIC, SEO B1, IGN E, and SEO IGN.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
truck has 120,000 miles fuses all good -is there a way to test cluster module
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

Not really without a scan tool, The only thing you can check is to see if it has power and ground, if the power and ground are there a scan tool is needed to make sure the cluster can communicate with the other systems on the truck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is no test if i remove cluster itself by using a multimeter
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

No, the only test is to make sure you have power and ground up to the connector to the cluster. Below is a picture of the connector for the cluster and what each wires purpose is.

Cluster connector