Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2001 astro: running fine..trouble code is 0302 cyl #2 misfire

2001 astro van rough idle it was running fine now i have a rough idle . 135, 000 mi. the trouble code is 0302 cyl #2 misfire . where would you check first?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok first thing we need to do is find the number 2 cylinder spark plug wire and see if we are getting spark out of the wire...so at an idle it sounds like cylinder 2 is dead and its skipping i take it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a friend has a hand held scanner he checked the codes for me and came up with code 0302 #2 cyl misfire . i do not have access to the scanner anymore . cyl #2 is pass side front of car?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
yes passenger front see if you have spark coming out of the wire
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have spark at the distributor cap i got the plug out and it looks good. white all around .not black or wet
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok we need to see if spark is coming out of that plug wire to the spark plug..hook the wire back on the cap hook up other back the spark plug ground out the electode on the tip of the spark plug and see if you see spark traveling across the center to the tip
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, good spark at the plug

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok now we have it narrowed down to 2 things...either compression or the number 2 fuel injector...so can you take a compression test on the number 2 cylinder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No , but i can here it blast when i crank the motor . Does this car have six single injectors or something called a spider injector

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
yes it has a spider and each individual injector can be changed on the unit...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This must be located under the black plastic manifold ? how can you tell if the unit is bad or just the injector
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
if the unit was bad all 6 would be affected since it is just cylinder 2 its just the number 2 injector
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
yes it is under the black plastic upper intake