GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2000 Chevy Tahoe: detail how to replace a windshield washer reservoir

Explain in detail how to replace a windshield washer reservoir in a 2000 Chevy Tahoe w/4.8L.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome. To replace the reservoir on these is not difficult. It will require removing the left front tire and inner fender.

Object Number: 346934  Size: SH

• Remove the battery and battery tray from the vehicle.
  • Disconnect the connector from the washer pump.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the washer solvent level sensor.
  • Disconnect the washer hose from the washer pump.
  • Remove the upper bolt from the washer solvent container.
    Object Number: 346938  Size: SH

• Remove the lower bolts from the washer solvent container.
  • Remove the washer solvent container from the vehicle.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    What is the most cause for the reservoir leaking and is the 99 Tahoe similar to replace because I have one that leaks also.
    A 99 is similar to replace. It could be a cracked pump or casing, it could even be a bad line. I have seen these lines fail a few times.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    In essence, what you're saying is to remove the inner fender and see what's actually leaking before buying the reservoir. In removing the inner fender, which I've never done, is it just a matter of a few bolts to remove and replace?

The use plastic push pins on the 2000, but the 1999 is much easier. IF you take the battery tray out you can see what is leaking from there.

Object Number: 524693  Size: SH

• Remove the auxiliary battery and battery tray, if equipped.
  • Remove the two bolts.
  • Disconnect the hose(s) from the washer pump(s).
  • Disconnect the electrical connector(s) from the washer pump(s).
  • GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    The sides of the base of the pump had cracks in it which allowed the water to drain down to a point below the cracks. Your removal procedure was great-was able to follow your directions-wish more info like yours could come from other advisors-THANKS.