Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Remove the spider gears from a chevy 10 bolt gov loc carrier.

Customer Question

How do you remove the spider gears from a chevy 10 bolt gov loc carrier.

Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, can you send the year, model etc of the vehicle? lmk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a 1992 Chevy Silverado 1500. The spider gears are worn and I am not sure how to remove them fro the carrier,
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
You need to start by remving the cover plate. Once removed, you will then spin the spider gear assy till you see a small bolt head, (5.16 inch) That bolt is a special pin type bolt that holds the pin that goes through spider gears in place. the bolt could be tight and strip the head easily so be sure to use a 5/16 socket with only 6 sides and give a quick "crack" of the bolt. If not, you could easily round the head. Once that pin bolt is out, rotate the spider assy and the large spider pin will slip out. The you will pusch each side axle in about 3/8 inch and there will be a horseshoe clip on the end of each axle directly behind each spider gear. Once the horseshoe clips are off, pull each axle back some to slip out of each spider. You do NOT need to pull each axle all the way out of the diffrential. then all you do is start to spin the spider carrier and the spider gears will walk out. It will mkae more sense once you start the job
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have the carrier setting on the bench. I need to know how to remove the Gov Loc shafts so I can get the spider gears out.

Thanks

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Thinking wrong diff. Sorry. I will opt out and allow another expert to help as i am not 100% on these styles. Soory. I will handle getting you to another expert from my ned you do not need to do anything
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
try this...
Notes

• Tools Required:
  • J 26252 Governor Remover

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. Governor bushing using J 26252.
  2. The E-clips that hold the latching bracket in place on the bracket shaft.
    • Move the bracket down the shaft.
  1. Latching bracket bushing using J 26252.
  2. Latching bracket, shaft; and spring from the case.
  3. Governor assembly from the case.
  4. Stop pin (9 1/2 inch only).
  5. Lock screw.
  6. Pinion shaft.
  7. Differential pinion gears and pinion thrust washers.
    • Roll the gears out of the case by rotating one of the side gears.
  1. Thrust block.
  2. Right side gear.
  3. Right clutch plates and side thrust washer.
  4. Left side gear, cam plate, and clutch plates as an assembly (cam unit).
  5. Side gear thrust washer.

Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech