Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

why doesnt my 4X4 switch on a 1998 Chevy Blazer not work

why doesn't my 4X4 switch on a 1998 Chevy Blazer not work? I have replaced the switch, but there is no power to it (no lights) except when I first start vehicle
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

please tell me all you can about the truck,and your problem

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't know much, I bought the truck from my brother and he told me the 3 button 4x4 switch just needed to be replace, so we replaced it, but it still doesn't work. Occasionally, especially in hot weather or really cold weather, the transmission sounds and feels like the 4x4 is engaged. When the key is first turned the 3 lights on the switch will light up for maybe 2 seconds, but other than that the switch is currently just a decoration on the dash. I am having other electrical problems with the truck. The dash board is also glitchy, the oil pressure, temperature, voltage meter and speedometer work, but nothing else does. And occasionally all the lights, like the airbag, seatbelt, etc. will stay on.

the problem with the 4wd sounds to be the acuator on the side of the transfer case,,these cost around $150 at your local parts store...the dash light problem may be the ckuster itself,these tend to go bad

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

NVG 233-NP1 (Two Speed Selectable)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the transfer case shields. Refer to Shield Replacement.

1. Remove the transfer case wiring harness connectors from the motor/encoder.

1. Remove three bolts securing the motor/encoder gasket and motor/encoder to the transfer case.
  2. Retain the rubber gasket for reuse.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install three bolts securing the motor/encoder and the rubber gasket to the transfer case.
    • Tighten the motor/encoder bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
    • Ensure the motor/encoder aligns properly with the transfer case shift shaft.
    • Align the motor/encoder mating surface detent with the transfer case mating surface detent.

1. Install the transfer case wiring harness connectors to the motor/encoder.
  2. Install the transfer case shield. Refer to Shield Replacement.