XSTREAMAUTO
XSTREAMAUTO, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE TECH WITH 18 YRS AUTOMOTIVE

94 chevy: wont start..rotor..coil..the tbi injectors are getting gas

I have a 94 chevy silverado 350 5.7l tbi, the problem im having is that it wont start, I did a major tune up cap,plugs,wires,rotor,coil and even changed the distribator shaft ( the little gear under the rotor cap was broken) im getting a spark at the plugs but no gas to the plugs. the tbi injectors are getting gas but if you open the flaps on the carb, you can see the gas is just sitting there and not getting to the plugs. Someone please help me, thanks in advance for your inputs....Joe
Category: Chevy
Expert:  XSTREAMAUTO replied 5 years ago.
WHAT KINDA ISSUES WERE YOU HAVING BEFORE THE TUNE UP, WAS IT RUNNING GOOD BEFOR ,, CAN YOU CHECK COMPRESSION AND TELL ME WHAT IT IS THIS MAY BE A TUFF ONE TO FIGURE OUT WILL NEED ALOT OF HELP ON YOUR PART LET ME KNOW THANKS BOB K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Bob thanks for responding, Yes the truck was running fine it was just using a lot of gas and the way i found out is that i took it to get inspected and it wouldn't pass, the tech there told me that it probably just needed a tune-up. Also the reason i had to change the distributor shaft was that the truck wasn't firing, well it would fire but then it would go away, upon reviewing all the connections i noticed the wires that come from the middle of the distributor shaft had broken, but once i moved the wires around it would start for a few seconds the turn back off, then i would check the plugs to see if they were getting fire and they weren't, so i then went to buy the part and the guy at the counter said that it would be better to just buy the whole distributor shaft since the sprocket looking thing thats under the rotor was also broken. I then replaced the shaft and rotor back onto the truck, checked my spark plug wires to insure that i didn't cross them set the number one plug on the cap and tried to start it and nothing, im now getting continuous fire all the time i crank it, but now it seems like im not getting fuel to the plugs. The throttle bodies injectors are working but the fuel just sits there, it looks like the fuel isn't getting sucked down into the chambers. Keep in mind im no mechanic so i don't know much about motors
DID YOU GET THE DISTRIBUTOR SET IN RIGHT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I believe so, its sitting flush on the block, and im getting fire, but if its not lined up or in the right spot, does that cause fuel not to get to the plugs?

SOMETHING LIKE THAT IT WILL CAUSE THE ENGINE TO FLOOD OUT YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT CYLINDER # XXXXX IS AT TOP DEAD CENTER WITH THE TIMING MARK ON THE BALANCER LINED UP WITH THE POINTER AMD PULL THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND MAKE SURE THAT THE ROTOR IS POINTING WERE THE #1 PLUG WIRE IS AT ON THE CAP WICH SHOULD BE PIONTING TO #1 CYLINDER
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have checked that and the rotor is pointing to the number 1 plug wire but the rotor is pointing to the number 8 cylinder, is that wrong
YES IT IS YOU HAVE THE TIMING OFF SHOULD START AFTER YOU CORRECT THAT
XSTREAMAUTO, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE TECH WITH 18 YRS AUTOMOTIVE