john c.
john c., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master, asep grad,853 gm certs, gm master cert, 18 years gm tech

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500: the transmission fluid..overheat..freeway

If you overfill the transmission fluid on a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500, how long will it take for it to overheat on the freeway? estimated time frame.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  john c. replied 5 years ago.

hi,

over filling a transmission will not cause it to over heat. however it will cause it to purge the excess out the vent tube on the top of the trans, causing a big mess all over the underside of your truck. it can also be a fire hazard if its blown all over the cat. convertor.

hope this helps, let me know if i can further assist you.

thanks,

john c.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I recently took the truck for a oil change into a mechanics and they topped the fluids off. An hour later the trany started to overheat, causing the overdrive to not kick in. Which overheated the engine a bit. But I had a diagnostic ran on it and it was overfilled by a quart. I brought the bill and report back to the mechanic and they claim that it was done by someone else a while ago. That's why I was curious about the time frame.

Expert:  john c. replied 5 years ago.

ok, i gotcha.

basically being over filled it would start purging it most likely soon after you left, however it may cause alot of air bubbles inthe fluid as well if it was shifting thru the gears. this may or may not cause over heating. depending on any slipping that may be occuring due to the air in the fluid.

an over heating trans can cause the engine to run hot due to the trans cooler being in the radiator. so that can happen.

but botXXXXX XXXXXne is. if they over filled it. they are responsable for it. the problem is going to be proving they did it. as there was no work done to the trans proving they touched it. hope this makes sense.

is the truck doing ok now?

thanks,

john c.

john c., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase master, asep grad,853 gm certs, gm master cert, 18 years gm tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The truck is doing better now, had the trans flushed and replaced filter, trans fluid was burnt. There was slipping during shifting. thanks for your help.

Expert:  john c. replied 5 years ago.

no problem.

thanks again,

john c.