Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1999 chevy astro: van..fuel pump..fuel filter..intake manifold

Customer Question

i have a 1999 chevy astro alwd van the problem is this i can start up motor but if i move it and shut it off it could 5 to hour or next day to sart up again but in my drive way it start all the time i have replace the following parts fuel pump fuel filter spiters in intake manifold this a 4.3 engine when it runs it is good but to get it started is a problem can some one help thank you mike
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

was this the problem why you changed the fuel pump?yell me all you can about the van........when it wont start,does it have a spark on the plug wires?will it start with starting fluid when it acts up?

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can start it but cranks over and when you let key pressure off wants to start it coughts out yhe air cleaner no it start with starting fluid now van in house i can start and shut it many times but if i move it 20 feet shut it off i have crank it 20 or more times till it start up or battery goes dead come 12 hours later may start upyes getting coil spark i perssonally tested by hold ing wire as crank it like a jerk

ok

you need to check the fuel presure,even though you installed a new pump...it is common to get a bad new fuel pump....these must have no less then 58psi at all times....

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Fuel System Diagnosis

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
When you turn ON the ignition, the vehicle control module Vehicle Control Module (VCM) energizes the fuel pump relay which powers the fuel pump ON. The pump remains ON as long as the engine is cranking or running and the VCM receives reference pulses. If there are no reference pulses, the VCM shuts the fuel pump OFF within 2 seconds after the ignition was switched to the ON position or if the engine stops. The VCM also turns ON the fuel pump for 2 seconds when you turn OFF the ignition.

An electric fuel pump pumps the fuel through an in-line filter to the fuel meter body assembly. The pump attaches to the fuel level sender assembly inside of the fuel tank. The fuel pump provides fuel pressure above what is needed by the fuel injectors. The pressure regulator keeps the fuel available to the injectors at a regulated pressure. Unused fuel returns to the fuel tank by the fuel return pipe.

Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 5)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 5)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 3 Of 5)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 4 Of 5)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 5 Of 5)

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. When the ignition is ON and the fuel pump is running, the fuel pressure indicated by the fuel pressure gauge should read 414-455 kPa (60-66 psi ). The spring pressure inside the fuel pressure regulator controls the fuel pressure.
  2. A fuel system that drops more than 34 kPa (5 psi ) in 10 minutes has a leak in one or more of the following areas:
    • The fuel pump check valve
    • The fuel pump flex pipe
    • The valve or valve seat within the fuel pressure regulator
    • The fuel injectors
    • A fuel pipe
  1. A fuel system that drops more than 14 kPa (2 psi ) in 10 minutes after being relieved to 69 kPa (10 psi ) indicates a leaking fuel pump check valve.
  2. Fuel pressure that drops-off during acceleration, cruise or hard cornering may cause a lean condition. A lean condition can cause a loss of power, surging, or misfire. You can diagnose a lean condition using a scan tool. If an extremely lean condition occurs, the heated oxygen sensors will stop toggling. The heated oxygen sensor output voltages will drop below 300 mV . The fuel injector pulse width will increase. IMPORTANT: Make sure the fuel system is not operating in the Fuel Cut-Off Mode. This can cause false indications by the scan tool.
  3. When you open the throttle quickly, the manifold pressure increases (low vacuum). The fuel pressure regulator increases the fuel pressure as the engine vacuum drops in order to compensate for engine load.
  1. A rich condition may result from the fuel pressure being above 455 kPa (66 psi ). A rich condition may cause a DTC to set. Driveability conditions associated with rich conditions can include hard starting followed by black smoke and a strong sulfur smell in the exhaust.
  2. This test determines if the high fuel pressure is due to a restricted fuel return pipe or if the high fuel pressure is due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator.
  1. A lean condition may result from the fuel pressure being below 414 kPa (60 psi ). A lean condition may cause a DTC to set. Driveability conditions associated with lean conditions can include hard starting (when the engine is cold), hesitation, poor driveability, lack of power, surging, and misfiring. NOTE : Do not. allow the fuel pressure to exceed 517 kPa (75 psi ). Excessive pressure may damage the fuel pressure regulator.
  2. Restricting the fuel return pipe with the fuel pipe shut-off adapter causes the fuel pressure to rise above the regulated fuel pressure. Using a scan tool to pressurize the fuel system, the fuel pressure should rise above 455 kPa (66 psi ) as the valve on the fuel pipe shut-off adapter connected to the fuel return pipe becomes partially closed.
  1. If the injectors are not grounded, check the spark plug associated with a particular fuel injector for fouling or saturation in order to determine if that particular fuel injector is leaking. If checking the spark plug associated with a particular fuel injector for fouling or saturation does not determine that a particular fuel injector is leaking, use the following procedure:
  1. Remove the fuel meter body assembly. Refer to Fuel Meter Body Assembly Replacement
  2. Reinstall the engine compartment fuel feed and return pipes to the fuel meter body and the chassis fuel pipes. Refer to Fuel Hose/Pipes Replacement (Engine Compartment).
  3. Lift the fuel meter bodyassembly just enough to leave the fuel injector poppet nozzles in the ports.
  4. Pressurize the fuel system by using the scan tool fuel pump enable.
  5. Visually and physically inspect the fuel injector poppet nozzles for leaks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuel was not the porblem i found it was cam senor

great glad you got it going

thanks