BOBBYSS, Master Technician

2000 malibu: my fuel gauge and temp gauge stopped working

my fuel gauge and temp gauge stopped working in my 2000 malibu it has 216000 miles on it.
Submitted: 7 years ago via
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer do all of the other functions of the instrument panel work fine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The fuel gage is reading empty and the temp gage is reading cold neither one move at all when started. This happened the other day at the same time the ac quit blowing cold I don't know if they are related or not. I have checked the fuses and can't even find the one that controls the gages but i really don't know what i am looking for.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
Okay. This can be a bad ground or a problem with the instrument panel itself. The most common ground that controls these systems is ground #202. This ground is located under the drivers side of the dash near the fuse panel. You need to check the grounds near there to make sure that they are clean and tight.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no the brake light on the dash doesn't work either but the speed do does and rpm gage does.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
Okay. I would check this ground first. If the grounds are fine then the panel may be bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i don't have a clue where or what the grounds look like can you help.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately I do not have a diagram of these grounds. A ground wire is a wire that is bolted to the frame or another metal component of the dash.