BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

my 2004 chevy silverado instrument cluster just stopped working.

Customer Question

my 2004 chevy silverado instrument cluster just stopped working. My spedometer and gauges are not working as well as the automatic transmission gauge does not show what gear I am in. I checked the fused and they are okay. I live in Panama so cant take back to a dealer. All my turn signals, emergency flasher and head lights work. The four buttons on my steering wheel do not work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer the most common cause for this failure is a shirt within the instrument cluster itself. It is a very common failure on this vehicle. GM does have a recall on it for an extended warranty due to the failure. If you are going to fix this yourself then you either need to replace the panel or take it out and have it rebuilt.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is a shirt and how I fix it as I am in central america with the truck.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
I apologize for that. I meant the circuit within the cluster. All you may be able to do is order a new cluster throught the internet and have it shipped to you. Make sure you purchase if from someone that can program it for you before sending it to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where would you suggest I order it and exactly what do I request?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
There are typically several listings on ebay thet you can buy them from. Just make sure it is from a shop or rebuilder that offers programming the cluster before sending it to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you still have not answered my question as to what exactly i am to oder.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
If you do not purchase one from ebay then you need to get one from gmpartsdirect.com. They sell the panel for about $500. When you order it they will program it for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still do not know what to order
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
You go to the site I mentioned and order the instrument cluster. You just need to enter your vehicles year and model and go through the parts list to find it.