John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

I have a PO 742 code TCC System-stuck On. The car jerks when

I have a PO 742 code TCC System-stuck On. The car jerks when it changes its automatic gear. I need to have this fixed. I have been to several mechanics and some say it is electrical but some say that it is not.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

You can replace the TCC solenoid and see what happens. I have see these fail but I have also seen internal transmission problems cause this, usually after a rebuild where a seal or clip was installed incorrectly. You could aslo try servicing the transmission with a new filter and new fluid. You might want to take it to a transmission specialist. They will run into these types of problems more often than repair shops.

Good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay but is the TCC solenoid inside the transmission or is it outside the transmission. Is it a good idea to change or rebuild the transmission. If so, what do you recommend I do? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Could you give me the year, make and model? I will locate the TCC solenoid for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Chevrolet Impala 2003 3.4L.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

On your transmission it is under the side cover. I would have a transmission shop look into it and let them run some tests.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Lastly John, could I take this off and change it myself to see what happens? Or is this something that needs to be done by an authorized dealer. PS thank you and I will accept.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The steps look pretty easy but they might assume the transmission is already out. Usually having enough space to work is the problem. Here are the steps anyway:

Remove the case side cover.
Disconnect the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid electrical connector.

Remove the TCC solenoid retaining clip (314)
Remove the TCC solenoid (315).

Good luck