Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1997 S10: mile or so the check engine light comes..Catalytic converter

Customer Question

I have a 1997 S10 4 cylinder which after running for a mile or so the check engine light comes on and you lose power, runs real rough and starts using a lot of gas. Before when it did this about 4 years back I replaced the Catalytic converter and the oxygen sensor and it corrected it. I have now had it at an auto repair shop and they give up on it saying they can't figure it out. Could the converter be out again this soon causing this? The repair shop said the converter was good.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

you say your engine light came on,please give me the codes that were stored

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The repair shop did not give me the codes that were stored so I don't really know. They had it for two weeks and give up as they could not get it corrected. They said the tried everthing but could not stop it from doing this. It runs fine at start up when cold but after 1-2 miles it will happen.

ok

sense it runs good cold..it may be the ect....but would like to have the codes...auto zone and most parts stores will scan the truck and give you the codes for free

thanks

Description and Operation

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

Description
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermistor (a resistor which changes value based on temperature) mounted in the engine coolant stream. Low coolant temperature produces a high resistance (100,000 ohms at -40°C/-40°F), while high temperature causes low resistance (70 ohms at 130°C/266°F).

Operation
The PCM supplies a 5 volt signal to the ECT sensor through a resistor in the PCM and monitors the terminal voltage. Since this forms a series circuit to ground through the ECT sensor, high sensor resistance (low temperature) will result in high PCM terminal voltage. When the resistance of the ECT sensor is low (high temperature), the terminal voltage will be drawn lower. This terminal voltage indicates engine coolant temperature to the PCM.

A hard fault in the ECT sensor circuit should set either a DTC P0117 or P0118. Remember, these DTCs indicate a malfunction in the engine coolant temperature circuit, so proper use of the DTC table may lead to either repairing a wiring problem or replacing the sensor, to properly repair a problem

Service and Repair

Description
Description

CAUTION: Care must he taken, when handling coolant sensor. Damage to coolant sensor will affect proper operation of the fuel control system.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Relieve the coolant system pressure.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition.
  3. Remove the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector.
  4. Remove the ECT sensor.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Only coat the threads with sealer.
  2. Install the ECT sensor. Tighten
    • Tighten the sensor to 25 Nm (18.5 lb. ft.) .
  1. Install the electrical connector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I called the shop that worked on it and they said they replaced the ECT sensor and it did not help. The shop said there are no codes that come up only SYSTEM LANE

hi

there was a code if the engine light came on..if the system lean came up it could be the fuel presure regulator or even the fuel pump..id relly like to have the code

thanks

Service and Repair

Fuel Pressure Regulator Location
Fuel Return Pipe And Regulator O-Ring.
Fuel Pressure Regulator Bracket
Fuel Pressure Regulator

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

WARNING: Relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing fuel system components in order to reduce the flak of fire and personal injury. After relieving the system pressure, a small amount of fuel may be released when servicing the fuel lines or connections. In order to reduce the chance of personal injury, cover the regulator and the fuel line fittings with a shop towel before disconnecting. This will catch any fuel that may leak out Place the towel in an approved container when the disconnection is complete .

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Release Procedure .
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove vacuum hose from regulator.
  4. Remove the fuel return pipe clamp.
  5. Remove the fuel return pipe and the O-ring from the regulator.
  6. Discard the O-ring.
  7. Remove the pressure regulator bracket attaching screw.
  8. Remove the pressure regulator assembly.
  9. Remove the O-ring.
  10. Discard the O-ring.
  11. If reinstalling the fuel pressure regulator, inspect the filter screen if equipped for contamination.
  12. If contaminated, replace the filter screen. Thread-locking Compound NOTE : In precoating screws, do not use a higher strength locking compound than recommended. Doing so could make removing the screw extremely difficult or result in damaging the screw head. The service repair kits are supplied with a small vial of thread-locking compound with directions for use. If the material is not available, use Loctite 262 or the equivalent. Do not use a cleaner that contains methyl ethyl ketone, an extremely strong solvent, and not necessary for this type of deposit. The throttle body metal parts may be cleaned following the disassembly in a cold immersion-type cleaner such as GM X-55 or the equivalent. CAUTION : Do not immerse the TP sensor and IAC valve in any type of cleaner because they are electronic devices.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. After lubricating the new pressure regulator O-ring with clean engine oil, install on the pressure regulator.
  2. Install the pressure regulator assembly onto the manifold.
  3. Install the pressure regulator bracket attaching screw coated with the appropriate thread-locking material. Tighten
    • Tighten the pressure regulator bracket attaching screw to 3.5 Nm (31 lb. in.) .
  1. Install the vacuum hose to the regulator.
  2. After lubricating the new fuel return pipe O-ring with clean engine oil, install on the end of pipe.
  3. Install the fuel return pipe to pressure regulator. Tighten
    • Tighten the fuel return pipe attaching nut to 3.0 Nm (22 lb. in) .
  1. Install the fuel return pipe clamp attaching nut to the lower manifold assembly.
  2. Tighten the fuel filler cap.
  3. Connect the negative battery terminal.
  4. Turn ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 10 seconds.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happened prior to this that I didn't think was connected with it and forgot to include. The fuel pump went out (I was told) and was replaced the first time with an incorrect one (Parts shop erred) these symptoms happened. The pump was then replaced with the correct one but it still did not correct the problem. The fuel pressure regulator was also replaced by the shop. Sorry I didn't state this earlier.

ok

in this case .lets check the presure to make sure it is up to par....please get the code for me if you can

thanks

Key On Engine Off 41-47 psi

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tim

The fuel pressure is also fine. Will a catalytic converter go bad this quick as when it did this before the converter and sensor were changed and it corrected the problem. I still keep going to this because that is what it was before but why does this vehicle go through them so fast if it is that.

The Auto repair shop still states there were no other codes. Will be picking it up today and bringing it home. If it fails on the way I will stop at a parts store and have them check for codes.

hi

i would doubt it being the catalist,sense it has been changed...yes if you get a code,get with me

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Drove the vehicle hme 15 miles and it ran fine I don't understand this thing but hopefully it came out of it. Crossing my fingers and toes.

thanks for your help

you are welcome...

thanks