Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

97 chevy blazer wont crank new battery new starter

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JA. When you try to crank vehicle, do you hear any sounds?click, humm etc?

Do you own a 12 volt testlight?

lmk Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the i can hear the relays
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a 12 volt testlight?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
In order to help, we need to probe a few items. If you have a voltmeter, that would work, or you may need to run out and get a testlight if possible. You can get one just about any store. LMK. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have a voltmeter hear

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
let me know if it can be set to 12 volts. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

im not sure. i have only used it to check voltage at the altinator so i think its already reading 12 volts

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Ok, while i look up some wiring diagrams, go to truck and put the 2 leads on the battery posts again and be sure needledle goes tup or to 12 volts. LMK. I will then be back after i review a few diagrams for items to test. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i got 12.23 volts at the battery
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
great, everything is working. I will get with you very shortly to test a couple things.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you call this fine but it wont crank and its driving me crazy
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

In the picture below, is the location for relay. It will be # XXXXX in the diagram. I need you to find relay. It will have a RED, PURPLE, BLACK and another wire going to it.

When you locate it, I need you to get someone to hold the key in "CRANK" position while you use your meter to see how many wires have 12 volts on them. (Pull the relay OUT and probe the femal terminals in the harness). LMK when you can

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what picture

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Sorry

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2 are reading 11.9 and the other is reading 9.9
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Ok, put the relay back in, Do same thing, Turn and hold key in the CRANK position and while doing that, back probe the PURPLE wire . LMK what you have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i dont know what i did but when i pluged every thing back in it started. now with that said it has been doing that for about a week i can go some place and when i come back out it wont start. this is the part thats driving me crazy
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

You did not indicate this in the question. You clearly were handling the starter relay and that is most likely where the problem is The starter is new and battery which basically leaves the relay. You handled it and must have jarred something to make it work. You need to replace the relay

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have switched the relay with another one and i still get the same problem. i just put the starter and battery in today so i wasnt sure if that wass the problem
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to help but now need to know what all you have relaced. In what order did you repalce these items.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

start battery relay and starter again

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
The only way i can help is to catch it in the act again. If you back probe the PURPLE wire at the relay next time no start and you have no power there. you either have a bad trabs selector or ignition switch or a wire that is not making good contact. I am sorryry but this is all I have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is a trabs selector?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Is yours a manual trans or auto
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

manual and i have it bypassed i also got it to act up and i got 17.5 at the purple wire

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Unsure why 17 volts as battery is only 12 or so. When you get 17 volts on purple wire, does the battery read 17 volts?

If you have voltage on the purple wire and car does not crank, you have a wire problem . the purple wire goes directly to starter. Ther are no others, That wire is what cranks the car. So.. the battery cable to starter is not good or purple wire to starter is not good.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i stripped some of the wire away and i got 7.2
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if it would be easier you can call me my number is XXXXX
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
i can not view your number and we are prohibited from seeing it and calling. I am going to opt out. I have tried to help but sorry i could not
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks anyway